Do my fish need Bloodworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sallysblooms

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have guppies, dalmation mollies and platys. Can they eat bloodworms, should they? :fish2:

Sallysblooms said:
I have guppies, dalmation mollies and platys. Can they eat bloodworms, should they? :fish2:

It's not like they have to eat bloodworms. But they are good for fish every once in a while. My fish love them!

The definitely don't require them. But yeah, most fish gobble them right up.

If you get the freezedried ones, be sure to let them soak in some tank water or Garlic Guard prior to feeding. Otherwise, they may expand in the fish's stomach.

U should feed them like 3 times a week along with there normal food for a balanced diet.

I respectfully disagree. Bloodworms are so rich that they should be considered a treat, rather than a regular food source. I feed my tanks bloodworms at the most, once per week, but usually it's once per two weeks.

If you get the freezedried ones, be sure to let them soak in some tank water or Garlic Guard prior to feeding. Otherwise, they may expand in the fish's stomach.

i've NEVER heard of this garlic guard?
I have to try it someday - especially for the finicky eaters

It's not really for finicky fish, although I don't have a single fish that doesn't practically jump out of the water to get it. It's more to help them develop and maintain a strong immune system.

Yeah constant feeding of one food to fish, while not particularly harmful is not optimal. People are told to get a variety of nutrition for a healthy life. Varying staple foods and small treats such as blood worms is great for happy healthy fish, and create a great bond between your fish and you. If you feed them bw every three days they will be at the glass begging when you walk by and make a overall better looking tank.
Best of luck with your fish
Troy

Back
Top Bottom