Do people not think outside the box anymore when stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apr28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know people love the "what should I stock?" questions but a lot people tend to suggest a random assortment of Petco/Petsmart fish, guppies, mollies, gouramis, cories(they are cute though) and some over-bred tetra maybe with the occasional pleco thrown in.

Visit your more specialized LFS and you would be surprised what's easy to care for while having something a bit different.

I think people suggest those because not everyone has access to a LFS or doesn't want to make an expensive online fish order from a website.
Also some a lot of LFS take in/trade fish with local hobbyists so even they end up with platys, mollies, guppies, tetras etc.

I think lot of the *popular* fish are suggested because most of the people asking seem to be new fish keepers and so a *basic* fish lets them *get hooked* on the hobby with a minimum of problems. What may seem to *you* to be easy and *over used* may be just challenging enough for them - at least at first. And yes a lot of people don't live where anything other than basic fish are available. I have to go 1.5 hrs to get to more that a basic fish store (Big Als) and 3 hrs if I want somewhere that carries anything more than they do.

Back
Top Bottom