Do pleco eat sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I know it's a funny question but I've realized my pleco is pooping more than normal to me at least ever since I changed from gravel to sand I've notice it so every time I go to vacume up wast the plecos waste is harder to pick up like its heavy lol so do plecos eat sand

They can accidentally but its not a normal part of their diet no. They eat vegies and algae

Yea I know that it's not part of there diet but he's eating a lot of it he craps a heck lots of the sand and its nuts I can't keep the sand clean most of the waste is coming from him what can I replace him with that would be good in a mbuna tank 55 gallons lol

What kind of pleco is it? If its a normal pleco they grow massive and excrete a hell of a lot. Just get a smaller breed like a Bristlenose, they only grow to about 4-5 inches so less waste

Ok I know it's a funny question but I've realized my pleco is pooping more than normal to me at least ever since I changed from gravel to sand I've notice it so every time I go to vacume up wast the plecos waste is harder to pick up like its heavy lol so do plecos eat sand

Does he have enough algae wafers and bog wood to eat?

Same here, I end up netting the poop as my eheim power vac can't lift it :) maybe when we had gravel most of it sank so we didn't see as much ? That's my theory anyway ... But at east on the sand is easy to get with the net .

Just a question for you , as you recently changed to sand , does your Pleco dig ? Every morning I have the pyramids , my Pleco digs the lot , and I mean EVERY DAY ... If he wasn't so fantastic I'd boot him out ;) can't bring myself to part with him he's such a cool dude .

No he don't dig he just wait till my mbuna digs and then takes over the hole lol he's lazy lol

Well after he had broccoli for this tea last night the poop was easy to vac this morning, I suppose it's down to what they eat , mine isn't a big lover of the algae wafers, doesn't matter what brand , he will eat them if he's hungry , but I prefer to give him what he likes and at the moment he loves shrimp wafers ! And steamed broccoli ;)

Well after he had broccoli for this tea last night the poop was easy to vac this morning, I suppose it's down to what they eat , mine isn't a big lover of the algae wafers, doesn't matter what brand , he will eat them if he's hungry , but I prefer to give him what he likes and at the moment he loves shrimp wafers ! And steamed broccoli ;)

Has a better died then me.

It just looks like he's pooping more because it has to sit on top of the sand, where as with gravel most would likely end up in between gravel. I thought the same when I did my switch, but nope, nothing is pooping more, it's just a LOT easier to see.

Spoilt orphan :) .. He had a bad start in life so now I make up for it , Ive had him 2 years and i spend more money on my dogs , fish and wild birds than I do on myself .. But it makes me happy :)

Real animal lover. It's nice to hear that. All the best to ya.

Back
Top Bottom