Do pygmy cories school with embers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1k3y_gumi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have ten ember tetras in a ten gallon with a few amanos. I'll also add one sparkling gourami. I know cories need schools of atleast 5 which I dont really have room for. If I just get 3 pygmy cories will they school with the embers and stay happy?

Um no they don't 2 way different fish species.

Yea. Im aware that cories and tetras are different species. I wouldnt be asking if I thought they were the same type of fish. I was reading up on pygmys and some places said that they school with other similar sized fish unlike other cories because pygmys supposedly don't spend as much time on the bottom as most cories. I was just wondering if any body had any experience with this.

They might interact with each other and swim by each other a little. But truly school probably not I'd bump up the cories and not get the gourami. Or you could do both if you have a good filter and water changes

Aquatech 5-15 with extra filter floss is what I have. It's pretty well planted too. I do about 20% a week. Do you suppose the 5 cories and the tiny gourami would be alright?

I would need to check further to track down articles, but various pygmy Corydoras are involved in schooling behaviour with tetras and other fishes. If I recall correctly, the various unrelated species have similar colour patterns, so at a glance look like a school of a single species. This apparently also allows for rare species to gain the benefits of schooling, without ever being present in large numbers. I don't know if embers are ever involved, but I do recall seeing a species of Cheirodon swimming among a shipment of Corydoras hastatus is an aquarium store. The two species had almost identical markings and were presumably collected together.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
I would need to check further to track down articles, but various pygmy Corydoras are involved in schooling behaviour with tetras and other fishes. If I recall correctly, the various unrelated species have similar colour patterns, so at a glance look like a school of a single species. This apparently also allows for rare species to gain the benefits of schooling, without ever being present in large numbers. I don't know if embers are ever involved, but I do recall seeing a species of Cheirodon swimming among a shipment of Corydoras hastatus is an aquarium store. The two species had almost identical markings and were presumably collected together.

Tony

Interesting. I see what you mean by that. It makes sense I suppose. I'll keep that in mind. I want to make sure the cories are happy if I get them but overstocking wouldn't be good for them either.

Yeah add 5 cories and a gourami. Bump up wc's to 30% if stuff goes wrong remove gourami. And yes the Cory's will school with other similar looking fish just cause or if forced too

Your 10 G Tank

I have ten ember tetras in a ten gallon with a few amanos. I'll also add one sparkling gourami. I know cories need schools of atleast 5 which I dont really have room for. If I just get 3 pygmy cories will they school with the embers and stay happy?

Hello Mlk...

I think you should look into getting a larger tank. You're obviously interested in expanding and you don't want to crowd your fish. Such a small tank is a challenge to keep clean even for an experienced "waterkeeper".

Your Tetras are schooling fish. They stay in a group during the day for protection. When one moves the others mimic that move. Corys are shoaling fish, they forage for food together at times, but their movements are individual.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Mlk...

I think you should look into getting a larger tank. You're obviously interested in expanding and you don't want to crowd your fish. Such a small tank is a challenge to keep clean even for an experienced "waterkeeper".

Your Tetras are schooling fish. They stay in a group during the day for protection. When one moves the others mimic that move. Corys are shoaling fish, they forage for food together at times, but their movements are individual.

B

Sigh. I deffinately hear what your saying and I've considered it before too. But this setup itself is not too old and I really don't want to tear it up just yet.

I think you could make it work. Just keep an eye on the water chemistry and adjust your pwc schedule as needed. The Pygmy corys will school with other like sized fish, especially if there's larger fish present. Unfortunately you don't have any more room for a centerpiece fish. If you upgraded to a 20gal. long then the possibilities would be endless. Trust me i know how frustrating it is to not be able to expand in this hobby. I'm really glad to see that you realize the downfall to overstocking.

Back
Top Bottom