Do tannins affect light penetration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new piece of mylasia has now released tannins, it's not super bad just a light tea color, wondered if that would affect my light penetration to my plants as my light doesby seem as bright by the human eye as it did when no tannins were present

Yea they effect light just like anything else in water or a glass lid. Nothing horrible or not bad with a little getting harder to penetrate the more in the water column.

Yea they effect light just like anything else in water or a glass lid. Nothing horrible or not bad with a little getting harder to penetrate the more in the water column.
Reason I asked cause I just ordered $40.00 in plants, ordered new ferts (thrive all in one until I can do research and get knowledgeable in dry), scissor and tweezer set, but I did order 2 HO led pods for my led fixture, might have to get some purigen to remove the tannins, I can't go no lids because there's constantly stuff being sprayed in the air here and would get into the tank so I'm stuck with glass lids, I can remove the tannins with purigen because purigen doesn't remove nutrients I've been told?

Purigen or water changes . Tannis are not real bad. Regular water change will eventually catch you up on the them .
I think carbon would work also without much issue. It is so short lived that after a week just chuck it .

Purigen or water changes . Tannis are not real bad. Regular water change will eventually catch you up on the them .
I think carbon would work also without much issue. It is so short lived that after a week just chuck it .
I used to use bio Chem Zorb but with plant fertilizer carbon consumes the ferts themselves, that's why i no longer use it, it's a late Christmas here CB, just waiting on plants now.
Late Christmas https://imgur.com/gallery/SiIqB

Back
Top Bottom