do tannins ever completely expel from driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had a problem with tannins then i added a 100ml bag of purigen. This worked well for about a couple of weeks. I then had to recharge it because in just two weeks it was dark brown. Made it completely white soaking in bleach water for 24 hours then soaked in water treated with prime for 24 hours. It turned dark brown in less than two weeks and the tannins made my tank look like weak tea within just a few days. I do weekly 50% pwc's, but just a few days after my pwc's i have the tannin color again. This is a 60 gallon 48"x13"x24". I have four fairly good size pieces of driftwood with various low light plants

I bought this driftwood from a lfs that had it in established display tanks. This was in January. Seems like the tannin issue is getting worse with time rather than better. Do tannins ever cease or are they just a byproduct of the wood breaking down?

AC110 and AC70. I have cleaned the filter media twice in the last month using tank water during pwc's.

8 Neon tetras
4 Otocinclus
4 guppies
3 red wag platies
3 angelicus botia
1 dwarf gourami

Have you tried boiling them? Also it depends on the type of DW. Honestly some have little to no tannins and some leach it for years. I had a piece that 5 years down the road still leached pretty heavy tannins. I finally put it in the yard as no amount of boiling or anything, including time made any difference!

I have a good-sized chunk of driftwood in a 36g tank. The piece fills about 1/4 of the floor-space, and has a thin section nearly as tall as the water level. I boiled the driftwood several times, exchanging new water each time the boiled water turned the color of cola. Eventually, the boiled water got no darker, so I finally intoduced it to the tank. It's going on 3 months, and the water does darken to the tea or blackwater color by the weekly water change. However, this amount is lessening to nearly being unnoticeable.

Have you tried boiling them? Also it depends on the type of DW. Honestly some have little to no tannins and some leach it for years. I had a piece that 5 years down the road still leached pretty heavy tannins. I finally put it in the yard as no amount of boiling or anything, including time made any difference!

No, i have not boiled any of it. When i bought it it had plants attached to the pieces. They are fairly large pieces also. I suppose at some point i can try to clip the plants away from the driftwood and try to boil them. It is becomint a nuisance. After just two or three days my tank becomes very dull and unappealing.

I just got a piece about 15in long.. Wasn't thinking about having to water log it. Iv been soaking it for alittle over a day and started it by dumping boiling water over it.. Is there any quick way to water log these things?

Back
Top Bottom