Do tannins hurt fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some grapewood driftwood for my smaller tanks and it is still leaching tannins. I have been soaking it for several days and changing the water daily. I added one piece to the tank and it turned the water dark. I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't hurt any fish that I put in the tank. Right now the tank only has
snails and ghost shrimp. Nobody seems to be hurt by the dark water but I wanted to be sure it was okay. I want to add the rest of the wood but it is still getting the water in the bucket pretty dark.

Depends on the fish. Tannins are great for softer water fish (gouramis, bettas, tetras, SA cichlids, SA catfish, etc.). The tannins soften the water and lower the pH a bit. You wouldn't want to do something like Rift Lake cichlids or other harder water fish in a tank like this.

Depends on the fish. Tannins are great for softer water fish (gouramis, bettas, tetras, SA cichlids, SA catfish, etc.). The tannins soften the water and lower the pH a bit. You wouldn't want to do something like Rift Lake cichlids or other harder water fish in a tank like this.

That's true, probably more rocks than driftwood in those lakes as well.

Not just tannins.. humic acids too, come from the woods and leaves as well, with tannic acids and both benefit many fish species that originate in waters that have this kind of detritus in them.

This is going to be a dwarf puffer tank. They like lots of places to hide and search through. Lots of driftwood was the suggestion I got from thepufferforum.com.

Back
Top Bottom