Do the good bacteria live in the actual water column?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a question that I have been trying to get answered, and knowing the caliber of fish fanatics here I know it will get answered in spades. :D

Now I would really like to get to the bottom of this, Do the "good" bacteria live in the water column of our aquariums?

I am a PWC freak, actually I am contemplating a daily schedule of them for my 32 gallon community tank. I need to know I will only be doing right by my fish. As far as I can see its more like giving it a flush, just like we would our toilet. But that said I dont want to cause a mini cycle in my tank, that of course would be undesirable.

So let it rip, let me know what you know and your opinions of this.
CHEERS!

Yes, but very little. Your bacteria is going to live on surfaces. I don't believe a water change, no matter what percentage, is more harmful than leaving the water in the tank even with the bacteria that may be in there.

Nitrosomonas (ammonia -> nitrite conversion) and nitrobacter/nitrospira (nitrite -> nitrate conversion) are the two types you're looking at. They both thrive where there's a surface to which they can adhere.
Something interesting about nitrosomonas is that it likes to avoid light. So, there's probably negligible levels in the water column itself.

The beneficial bacteria tend to develop in places where water flows over a surface area - Substrate, filter sponges, and so on - rather than being free roaming :)

There's a good article on nitrifying bacteria (nitrobacter) online here

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom