do these fish mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocaladream

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi , i have a 120 gallon freshwater tank fully setup with live plants and all , just wondering if my fish all mix cause for the past few days i have chewed tails and bruised gills from some of the fish , here is my list of fish :
3 neon tetras
2 guppies that have had 11 tiny babies
2 plecos
6 bronze cories
5 oto algae eaters
3 rice "blue eyed" killie
6 headstanders
6 robertzi tetras
2 blue ram
2 apistogramma borelli/steel blue
2 flower shrimp
5 skyblue tetras
2 purple passion danios
5 bumble bee gobies
2 microtenopoma ansorgli
2 flame gourami
2 pencil fish
2 pakistani loaches
2 gold rams
2 roseline sharks
6 ember tetras
1 elephant nose
1 baby whale
1 spotted catfish
4 algae eating shrimp " ghost"
the ones that have been chewed on are elephant nose , whale, guppy , gourami,headstanders so far just wondering who the culprit is ???? any clues

Who has nipped fins? The killies may be the culprit, but with this stocking, it's near impossible to say. Are your apistos a pair or are they the same sex? What kind of behavior do you observe..anyone harassing anyone else?

You have inadequate school sizes for some of those groups. Schoolers should be kept in groups of 6 or more. Many schoolers are prone to nipping when kept in too small of a school.

Bumble bee gobies are brackish fish and shouldn't be in the tank.

all the fish that are in pairs are male and female all except for the roseline which they could not tell apart , we haven't noticed anything with lights on everyone gets along it;s come morning that they have been attacked !!! as for the bumble bee;s the store told us that they adapt to freshwater that is how they keep them at the store , so i am guessing the purchase of more neons and tetras and roselines and getting rid of the blue eyes?

I had some killies in a community tank once, and it took me a long time to realize what they were doing because it was only with the lights off. I never saw anything, but every morning a new fish was tattered. Do you have another tank you could put them in for a bit to test and see if the probs go away? Or it could possibly be a pair of cichlids in breeding mode?

Oh I'm sorry, I see now at the bottom you put which ones were being nipped at.. I didn't see that before. The guppy and gourami would be likely targets for the killies. Still, I can't be sure.

Some freshwater fish can adapt to brackish, but I'm not sure any true brackish fish can thrive in freshwater.

haha I know right, I think it's a pretty silly name. I've heard they are tricky to feed and only like live foods.

all the fish that are in pairs are male and female all except for the roseline which they could not tell apart , we haven't noticed anything with lights on everyone gets along it;s come morning that they have been attacked !!! as for the bumble bee;s the store told us that they adapt to freshwater that is how they keep them at the store , so i am guessing the purchase of more neons and tetras and roselines and getting rid of the blue eyes?
That was covered here ^

Do you have plenty of caves or tubes for you elephant nose and baby whale ???
They may fight over hiding spots.

And they may just fight. They are related.
Interesting article, read down to the part about stocking.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/baby_whales.htm

At work I fed the bottom feeders frozen bloodworms with a turkey baster to make sure the faster fish didn't eat them all. I'd feed just before or just after lights out.

Roselines are fast agressive feeders. Make sure your other fish get to eat.

yes there is plenty of hiding spots but the fish get along very well , the baby whale is quite small but he follows elephant nose but those two got attacked but whatever else is chewing on them , i pulled the rice blue eyed killies out of the tank and we will see how everyone does tonight

I was researching bumble bee gobies for my tank and found out two really important things about the breed that may apply here. One- they're known to be very grumpy fish who are extremely territorial always. ( not just when they mate/spawn ) They are also known to be fin nippers. Everything that I read (4 hours of researching) said they were not good in a passive community tank. If you want I'll post the link to some info in them do you can take a look for yourself?

My BBG's do get in little rumbles with eachother, but I've never seen so much as a nipped fin. I haven't kept them in a community setting, but they are very tiny and shy, so I would be a bit surprised if they were attacking fish much larger than them.

Really? I read about and spoke to people who said they were a big no no for a community tank. Maybe they're ok in a species only or with more aggressive fish? (I have discus and very passive fish in my tank.) I was told they (the bumbles) would nip at anything size wise in order to protect their territory. I guess every fish can show different behaviors. It just makes it more challenging to see which ones really fit the majority described?

well i pulled the killies out and seem to have no new nipped fins ,tails or gills , the bumbles are passive and shy in my tank they have loads of room so they mind their own and clean windows and plants so we will watch and see now to make sure that the fish removed were the right ones.

ocaladream said:
well i pulled the killies out and seem to have no new nipped fins ,tails or gills , the bumbles are passive and shy in my tank they have loads of room so they mind their own and clean windows and plants so we will watch and see now to make sure that the fish removed were the right ones.

The Blue Eyed Ricefish aren't actually Killies. They are Ricefish. They breed like Killies.

Back
Top Bottom