Do those magnetic algae cleaner work really well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have one on each of my tanks and they all seem to do a good job. Just make sure u get one that is right for your tank (some are for acryllic and some are for glass). I'm very happy with mine.

One for every tank? Wow, you must be happy with them. I think I'm too cheap to buy one for every tank, heh.

Lol I didn't buy them my mom went to a fish store at christmas and asked for gift ideas (she knew not to get fish but she didn't want to give me a gift card). I was skeptical but they do work well.

I have a mag-float and it works really well, trips out the fish though :D

I had one long ago that sunk when it was separated, it sucked, these are much better!

One thing to remember is that some gravel or sand between the cleaner and your tank can cause a BAD scratch, even on glass.

I have em too, one for each tank and I love it (although my smokey male angel HATES it).

Spend the money and get one for each tank tho; you don't want to spread disease accidently by moving it from tank to tank.

do you have an oto? It may make a much better job! My tank is clear. I have one without algae eater and the acrylic window is full of algae. This week-end I will buy an oto, and I expect the tank to be clean in a few days! :p

I love my Mag-Float! I was dubious, but it was recommended to me, and I couldn't believe how well it works. Accept no substitutes!

I use these as well - they are really handy. A few suggestions in addition to all the xlnt comments above.

1.) They are usually rated (glass/acrylic as mentioned earlier) but also by tank size/.thickness of glass as you need a bigger magnet to penetrate the thicker glass of larger aquariums. For the price difference it is best to get the largest one. They perform better than a closely matched unit and you can always use it if you get a larger tank.

2.) If you are frugal and super cost efficient (i.e. cheap :) ) you can get one and to avoid spreading disease boil it up after each use or give it a chlorine bath (careful with the later as it should be appropriately diluted and de-chlorinated by reasonable rinsing and a 48 hr wait).

3.) In my large SW tank I frequently get a film on the inside of the glass - not algae but I suppose Nitrasonomas or Nitrobacter, the magnet works great for polishing up the glass in this case as well.

HTH

Tom

I have a Mag Float medium, it was awesome on the 10g, but not so good on the curved glass part 26g since only the edges of the scrubber touch. Next time I try on the 26g I will try putting a thin piece of filter material on the scrubber side for better contact with the class.

astroguy, I know otos are hard little workers but the tank that has the real algae problem is my Oranda tank and it's not heated. It stays in the low 70's at all times though. I'm actually wondering if a bristlenose pleco would work since it's a breakout of ugly brown algae. It's not nearly as bad as it once was though so I'll probably sit tight and see if it doesn't eventually go away :)

Back
Top Bottom