Do u soak ur pellets before feedin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't soak them unless i have to soak it in medicated food. Ive never tried soaking it either, maybe I should try. Were you soaking in water?

George9 said:
I don't soak them unless i have to soak it in medicated food. Ive never tried soaking it either, maybe I should try. Were you soaking in water?

I soak mine in aquarium water in a small beaker!

That would just make them softer and easier to eat for the fish I guess. I just throw them in.

I pre-soak my NLS with Seachem's Entice, it's garlic based and loaded with vitamins. My big fish gobble the pellets down with out a care in the world, my smaller ones tend to let them pre-soak in the tank (nibble, spit, nibble lol), so even though NLS's statement in the link makes sense in theory, IMO/E it doesn't work in the real world.

Mr. Limpet said:
I pre-soak my NLS with Seachem's Entice, it's garlic based and loaded with vitamins. My big fish gobble the pellets down with out a care in the world, my smaller ones tend to let them pre-soak in the tank (nibble, spit, nibble lol), so even though NLS's statement in the link makes sense in theory, IMO/E it doesn't work in the real world.

I though entice was just a flavor enchanter? What u are speaking of sounds like garlic guard! But that's not the point. U do make Alot of sense! I may stay with presoaking pellets! Haha may buy one of those garlic guard or whatever and see how they do!

I don't soak but when I feed I hold the pinch of food between my fingers in the tank water and drop it in slowly, this way I can also make sure I'm not overfeeding or losing food to the filter flow.

I though entice was just a flavor enchanter? What u are speaking of sounds like garlic guard! But that's not the point. U do make Alot of sense! I may stay with presoaking pellets! Haha may buy one of those garlic guard or whatever and see how they do!

Yep, that's what it's sold as, but a breeder at one of my goto LFS told me about it and I figure if he gives it to the bulk of his fish, it can't hurt mine :D. My betta community tank and fry tank get it and they're all doing quite well.

Why are you soaking NLS in garlic, NLS already has garlic?

There are many water soluble vitamins and soaking food will only remove these, making any food less nutritious. If fish choose to do so that is their choice, but I recommend never doing this. Why spend the money on and caring about a nutritious food if you are going to remove some of that nutrition with water (or the air if your food container doesn't seal, or heat if you leave the food on top of the light fixture, etc.).

It would be better to buy sinking pellets. The NLS Thera+A is sinking and has enough garlic to kill some parasites.

I give my betta NLS pellets dry, one by one. He barely lets them hit the water before he pounces. If it's quiet enough, I can actually hear the crunching!

Fishguy2727 said:
It would be better to buy sinking pellets. The NLS Thera+A is sinking and has enough garlic to kill some parasites.

That is the exact food I use! All of my fish, whether bought or caught, eat it.

Fishguy2727 said:
Why are you soaking NLS in garlic, NLS already has garlic?

There are many water soluble vitamins and soaking food will only remove these, making any food less nutritious. If fish choose to do so that is their choice, but I recommend never doing this. Why spend the money on and caring about a nutritious food if you are going to remove some of that nutrition with water (or the air if your food container doesn't seal, or heat if you leave the food on top of the light fixture, etc.).

Haha ya that's what the article said. Makes Alot of sense. :) thanks

Back
Top Bottom