Do u think i am fully stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 7 neon tetras (med) 6 diamond tetras 6 peppered cory catfish and 1 bristlenose pleco

I have a 29 gallon, I want to get 4 more neons and a Bolivian ram

Whoops sorry we posted at the same time. I think you can maybe add a ram and that would be about it. I think your schools are fine.

Well id say you're already stocked.

The pleco is a big waste producer & Cory's/ the pleco share the same area, the ram will just add to it, maybe leading to some aggression from the ram.

I think you would be ok to add the ram. :) Honestly, I am not positive about more neons, but, I think you would be better off to just add 2 more, and then see how things go, and then consider adding the last 2. Up to you though, but 11 neons in there with the diamonds might be pushing it. Depends on how well the present fish get along and how well the water parameters hold up. :)

its seems okay, but i see major issues with the ram and corys

the ram will bully and even kill the corys......especially with that size tank......it all depends on the personality of the ram, but rams are known too be aggressive towards other bottom dwellers(besides plecos/otos) especially when the tank is fully stocked or has lots of bottom dwellers........i have never experienced it with my corys because i have Large emerald corys but a giant footprint like very spacious
its up to u......but maybe just add a german blue ram which is much much smaller and way more peaceful

Then why not stay away from the rams to avoid further disappointment? Just thinking if you had two I'm sure you wouldn't want to loose any more.

TheFishBoss97 said:

the ram will bully and even kill the corys......especially with that size tank......it all depends on the personality of the ram, but rams are known too be aggressive towards other bottom dwellers(besides plecos/otos) especially when the tank is fully stocked or has lots of bottom dwellers........i have never experienced it with my corys because i have Large emerald corys but a giant footprint like very spacious
its up to u......but maybe just add a german blue ram which is much much smaller and way more peaceful

I'm pretty sure GBRs and BRs are the same size and are both peaceful. Dont know where you got that info from.

I would say try the Bolivian, but watch water parameters very carefully. If the tank parameters don't hold up, you would probably have to sell a few fish.

Impulse09 said:
I heard the Bolivians are hardier

Hardiness doesn't matter that much if your tank is cycled and you do proper maintenance.

GBR are not way smaller or way more peaceful than Bolivians. Some people do have issues with chasing, but that usually happens when rams are a breeding pair. Some rams can be a bit more aggressive than others, but I have never ever heard of a ram killing a cory. One ram and only 6 corys in a 36g really should not be an issue IMO.
Also, I agree with jetakockey that hardiness in rams does matter. Many people seem to have much better luck with Bolivians than with GBR who are known to sometimes drop dead for no apparent reason.

A single ram is typically fine with bottom dwellers like cories IME. A pair...now that's another story.

The diamonds, neons, and ram all share the same level in the tank. Personally, I would rather have one of the schools of tetra and the ram, and then something that schools higher in the tank. I don't think the tank itself will be overstocked if you have proper filtration, but I do think you are overstocking the mid-bottom levels.

GBR are not way smaller or way more peaceful than Bolivians. Some people do have issues with chasing, but that usually happens when rams are a breeding pair. Some rams can be a bit more aggressive than others, but I have never ever heard of a ram killing a cory. One ram and only 6 corys in a 36g really should not be an issue IMO.
Also, I agree with jetakockey that hardiness in rams does matter. Many people seem to have much better luck with Bolivians than with GBR who are known to sometimes drop dead for no apparent reason.
Oh and it's a 29 gal. :)

Back
Top Bottom