do we look bloated? goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 fancy goldfish. black Moor and calico telescope. they live in a 29g tank, heated to 76°f. filtration: aqua clear 70 and aqueon 30. 2 Amazon sword plants, floating piece of driftwood and a nerite snail
I feed them a pinch or so of NLS large fish formula 3mm sinking pellets
ForumRunner_20120128_191113.jpg

ForumRunner_20120128_191130.jpg

ForumRunner_20120128_191232.jpg

ForumRunner_20120128_191255.jpg

Hi! Did they become rounder overnight/short period of time? Are they having issues swimming? Are they having any other issues? Are you feeding them cooked veggies daily? A bit more info will help us to figure out if theres a problem or its just normal growth. :)

they always seem round but the calico looks a little extra round today I think. I'm not sure I have been a very good fish owner the last week during to my grandma passing away yesterday. for the last week I have been running out of the house every morning, turning on the lights and throwing food in quick. then 12-15 hours later come home turn lights off and go to bed and repeat. I have tired spinch and lettuce in the past they didn't touch either. I did a 60-65% water change yesterday .. the calico that looks most bloated to me has been pooping like crazy the last 2 hours.. they seem normal and happy and scavenging like normal but they do seem a little extra topsy turby ( little more upside down, tail end higher that usual I think) when they are scavenging

they always seem round but the calico looks a little extra round today I think. I'm not sure I have been a very good fish owner the last week during to my grandma passing away yesterday. for the last week I have been running out of the house every morning, turning on the lights and throwing food in quick. then 12-15 hours later come home turn lights off and go to bed and repeat. I have tired spinch and lettuce in the past they didn't touch either. I did a 60-65% water change yesterday .. the calico that looks most bloated to me has been pooping like crazy the last 2 hours.. they seem normal and happy and scavenging like normal but they do seem a little extra topsy turby ( little more upside down, tail end higher that usual I think) when they are scavenging

I am so sorry about your grandma! My condolences to you & your family.

In respect to your goldies, the moor does not concern me as much as the calico but as you have noticed increased floatiness with both of them, then they both should be addressed. This is my suggestion. Feed them just plain, deshelled, mashed cooked peas for the next 4 days- no pellets. They may not initially eat them but they will when they get hungry enough. You can also add 2 florets of cooked broccoli (flower part) daily as well. Remove the broccoli after 24hrs & replace with fresh pieces. Same thing- they may not eat it initially, just keep offering them fresh stuff daily.

In respect to their food, I am not a big fan of NLS for fancy goldfish as they do not distinguish between different breed specifications & dietary needs of different breeds- just different sized pellets. My suggestion would be to switch to Hikari fancy/fantail sinking mini pellets or Hikari lionhead sinking mini pellets. Start with only one small meal a day for a week. If they seem to be ok after a week, you can increase this to 2 meals a day. Offer them daily cooked veggies to pick at over the course of the day as well. If your calico does not improve/gets worse, let us know & we will figure out the next step. :)

Back
Top Bottom