Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you eat fish?
Yes 55 87.30%
No - I eat other animals but not fish 8 12.70%
No - I'm a vegetarian 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Topic moved to the lounge as its not FW specific and most salties probably wont contribute if its in FW only forum.
Considering there is only about 25% of the traffic in the louge compared to the FW forum I doubt this is going to increase the amount of people who see this. Besides - isn't the lounge for "Posts not related to aquaria"? Next time I post I'll ask would you eat a freshwater fish so four times the number of people can see and respond
Tony, your post was moved because it is not aquaria related. Yes, fish are in aquariums, we all know that, but this topic is neither here nor there in the fw forums. Second of all, in a lot of recent posts of yours you are being down right rude and disrespectful to the staff of this forum that work so hard to make it run. If you don't like the way this forum is run, go start your own, and then you may post this topic in your fw forums.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw80

Tony, your post was moved because it is not aquaria related. Yes, fish are in aquariums, we all know that, but this topic is neither here nor there in the fw forums. Second of all, in a lot of recent posts of yours you are being down right rude and disrespectful to the staff of this forum that work so hard to make it run. If you don't like the way this forum is run, go start your own, and then you may post this topic in your fw forums.
Have you looked at the posts in the FW forum recently? Quite a few are a lot less "aquaria related" than this one. But thanks for the standard mod response - "If you don't like the way this forum is run, go start your own, and then you may post this topic in your fw forums." I hadn't heard it in almost two days!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I love my fish but as I mentioned before would be devasted if anything happened to my cats. The cats are my babies, they interact with me, they love me, they cuddle with me. I don't think anyone is suggesting that fish are capable of returning the love provided to them by their owners. There are different types of love and different levels of caring for all species.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
But thanks for the standard mod response - "If you don't like the way this forum is run, go start your own, and then you may post this topic in your fw forums." I hadn't heard it in almost two days!
I guess you haven't gotten the message then. Until you do, you will keep hearing it.

As far as eating cats and eating fish...I would never eat either that I owned, nor would I eat either that was someone's pet.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, Tony has moved on, but I'll still voice my opinion.

Yeah, I eat fish. I eat shellfish too. And I've had rocky mountain oysters too (a.k.a. bull fries).

Bull fries, oddly enough, remind me a lot of both chicken (flavor) and shrimp (texture). Can't say I loved them, but it wasn't bad battered, deep fried, and with a side of cocktail sauce.

I know in southeast Asia, they eat a larger gourami species. They also eat dog and cat in places like Thailand.

The overwhelming difference between my aquarium fish and the fish I eat, is that my aquarium fish are pets. The only reason I get less upset when a fish dies is (sadly) very much related to price of the fish vs. price of my dogs or cat. Plus, I view the aquarium as a whole as the 'pet'. If my 75gallon fell through the floor and was completely destroyed, I would be as crushed over that as if one of my beloved corgis died.

I would never be able to pull a large oscar, even a walleye, out of one of my aquariums, fillet and fry em up. I just couldn't.

I won't deny that its like a double standard.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lori, well said, good job.

As for eating fish, I like crab and lobster, sometimes salmon and red snapper. Of course I would never eat my babies from my tank! That would be hideous! I don't eat cats or dogs, but do eat beef and pork, I wouldn't eat my bird, but I like chicken and turky. Isn't this typical of most normal people? I thought it was...
Old 02-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Sdellin it is typical for most people, I agree 100%. No matter how many ways you look at it.
Eating fish doesn't make us fish haters. And you can still love your fish. It's human nature.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
I do like fish and all kind of things in the sea but I do not like the fishy taste. If it taste a little fishy mostly because it was not seasoned good I can't eat it.

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
The overwhelming difference between my aquarium fish and the fish I eat, is that my aquarium fish are pets. The only reason I get less upset when a fish dies is (sadly) very much related to price of the fish vs. price of my dogs or cat. Plus, I view the aquarium as a whole as the 'pet'. If my 75gallon fell through the floor and was completely destroyed, I would be as crushed over that as if one of my beloved corgis died.
that is a very good way of explaining it. i mean yes it does suck when a fish dies in your aquarium but it is alot easier to move on and forget compared to if a cat or dog dies. i love fish i eat all different variety's. i love fishing aswell and i dont see it as a bad thing to catch and eat fish. i would never eat a guppy or mollie but only becasue they are to small to filet lol jk. i have eaten everything from sunfish (blue gills to the americans) all the way to shark. i didnt care for shark though it had a bad tangy tast to it. i would never eat someones pet chicken but wouldnt hesitate to buy and eat chicken from a gracery store. that goes for anything, if someone had a pet cow i wouldnt eat there cow but i might end up eating his brother lol.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well this is an expierience I can chime in on at my fathers farm I had reconstructed an old mill pond that was in bad need of atention and in it I raised trout fun to watch and considerd pet until my belly grumbled I looked at it as a bonus plan not only did I enjoy the fish as pets but also as meal. It may sound horrible but that is the way things work on the farm. We had a pet bull too he tasted good. It may sound sick it just depends were you come from.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I eat everything (within reason). If God did not intend for me to eat it he would have made it move a little faster.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I eat everything (within reason). If God did not intend for me to eat it he would have made it move a little faster.
Excellent, well said.

I will eat most any type of large fish, and also have caught many fish and ate them too. The caught fish I had to kill and gut and all too. Sort of sad when I had to do it, but hey, they are just so delicious I got over it pretty quickly.

My wife, on the other hand, will eat fish but not red meat. She saw too much TV specials on how bad it is, and took a nutrition class that really down-played red meat. I understand her position, but like I tell her - I wouldn't eat it if it didn't taste so **** good!

I have thought, briefly about what it would be like to eat my pet fish, but I don't think a platy would make much of a meal once gutted and deboned

I also have a pet iguana, which I would never eat; but I have sampled some iguana soup while in Grand Cayman - It was delicious.

I think I would draw the line at dogs and cats. I have two of each as pets and they are very interactive and loyal ones at that.
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

i saw the best bumper sticker just after reading this post. most of u will find this funny and according the pool we dont have any on this site."save an animal eat a vegatarian" lol classic
Old 03-03-2006, 04:55 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is a place on this earth for every animal, Right next to the potatoes!

That being said, Honestly the only reason people dont eat Tangs and other tank fish,,,, There is no meat on them.....

Personally, I think its funny when people talk about what animals they wouldnt eat,,,
Consider how fortunate we are to be selective about which animals we can consume.

If you were starving,,, you would eat anything.

Dad told me that when he was a kid on the farm (he is only 54) they used to eat the Comb and feet/legs of the chickens. There were 15 kids, you had to make use of everything.

Isnt it also funny that people dont want to eat the cute animals, but the ugly ones are the first to go,,,,,,hmmmm

Wade

In a perfect world, we would have gills,,,,,and opposable toes.-- Me
stainless_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Love fish...eat it 2 to 3 times a week, beautiful!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to donttaptheglass Send a message via Yahoo to donttaptheglass
Quote:
Honestly the only reason people dont eat Tangs and other tank fish,,,, There is no meat on them.....
Quote:
"save an animal eat a vegatarian"
Anyone else note the irony there?

Personally, there aren't enough good seafood restaurants out there. I eat at Red Lobster at every opportunity (my favorite restaurant of ALL), or there is a family owned single restaurant down at Wrightsville Beach in North Carolina that I go to whenever I am there.

Seafood is my absolute favorite, but you'll never see me turn down a good steak either.

As for my own fish, every fish in my tank stacked up on a plate would barely qualify as an appetizer for ONE.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just felt like adding my 2 cents just to do it. I personally don't eat much fish but not because I have fish but because I don't like all the little bones. Although I love shrimp, crab, and lobster. I don't think eating fish can be compared with eating a dog or cat. At least not in our country and culture. There are countries where people have animals for pets that they eat. I have a pig but that doesn't mean I plan to stop eating them. I have been brought up to eat pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, fish, deer, etc. and if I had one of each of those as a pet I wouldn't stop eating that particular meat. I choose to not eat dog and cat because where I come from that is frowned upon. Although when I was taking anatomy I dissected quite a few cats and some people probably don't agree with that either. But I will not apologize for any of it. It is what it is and I am what I am.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fried fish, baked fish, stir-fried fish, steamed fish, raw fish...it's all GOOD!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love eating fish. The only fish I eat are the ones I catch when I go offshore fishing, such as cobia, yellowfin tuna, red snapper, dolphin (the "fish" dolphin of course), groupers, wahoo, and flounder.

I couldn't eat my fish because I probably couldn't get a fillet off one of them and also because they're my pets and I'm attached to them.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fresh caught walleye :P
Barbecued salmon fillets :P
Jackfish
Perch
Shrimp :P :P :P :P :P

I LOVE a good fish in my tank and yes, I LOVE a good fish on my plate.

The cat and dog vs. fish debate? I would be utterly devastated if something happened to my beloved Buddy (9 year old flat-coated retriever). I would be upset if something happened to Brindi (3 year old lab mix) or Sandy (1 year old toy poodle). But, I have also cried with my children when a ryukin died (Angel). Fish don't just swim in circles... my loaches play with my hands and fingers when I clean the tank, my bettas want to duel with my fingertip, my goldfish and rainbows love to beg and follow me around the room as far as their tanks will allow. Fish have personalities too you just have to get to know them.

I would be destroyed if something happened to Buddy because he has been here for almost six years, protecting my children, protecting me (once got between me and a bear that I didn't know was there until Buddy freaked out), celebrating with me during success, and comforting me during tragedy. But, I would still be saddened by the loss of one of MY fish... they are a part of who I am. A walleye pulled out of Wabigoon Lake is not a pet, it's food. Bubbles (an oranda) is my pet and so are all of my other fish.

44 bowfront FW - 3 red cap orandas, 3 fantails, 3 golden dojo loachesone sailfin pleco
40L #1 FW - empty
40L #2 FW - empty
20 tall FW - adopted from my mother - 3 golden dojo loaches, 1 sailfin pleco, 4 assorted tetras and one mystery fish
10 long #1 FW - male betta, 4 peppered cories, 4 bronze cories, sailfin pleco, and some snails
10 long #2 FW - male betta, 1 praecox rainbow, 7 albino cories, sailfin pleco, and some snails
5.5 bowfront FW - 3 ADF's
8 year old flat-coated retriever, 3 year old mutt (looks like a small brindle lab) and a 6 month old miniature poodle (they're pets too, right?)
LydiaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com