Do you ever stop paying attention to some fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
While they were once the centerpiece of my tank when I first set it up, now I barely notice the Cherry Barbs in my 26g tank. I am so used to seeing them in the tank, doing their boring Cherry Barb stuff, that they are essentially background fish now. They spawned once in my tank, but I have not had any fry since then. The Barbs never have any fishy issues, or do anything different day to day. I feel bad about it but the fish I have bought since them have more interesting personalities. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I would not mind trading the Barbs in along with the one Ram and one Tetra, but I would have nightmares thinking about what other tank they might end up in. My wife and I decided that our fish will stay in our tanks and not end up in a trainwreck of a tank that I hear so many people talk about in the stores... Really too bad because my Cherry Barbs are nice fish and my Ram is an excellent fish with brilliant colors and a good attitude.

I think the Ram would do well with some other Rams. I really like this fish, but I think he was happier when he was paired up with another Ram. Since the Ram has been solo, I have only seen Rams once in a pet store around here and they were much smaller than the one I have now. My avatar pic is the Ram when he was a wee little fish :p

Yeah, I've always liked that avatar :mrgreen: I am probably gonna be picking up some Rams soon, which is why I asked about yours. Looking out for potential pitfalls and all...

thats a cool ram. only ones we can get around here are like a dull yellow with 1-2 really faded stripes and barely noticeable eye stripe thingy.

Here is a much newer pic of the Ram, he has grown up a lot:

redo4.jpg

The Cherry Barb in that pic is about 1.75 inches long for a size comparison. The other Ram I had was very dull in color and small in size compared to this one. If I could find some comparable Rams in a fish store, I would have bought them already. I would not mind giving the fish to someone with an established Ram tank that had room for one more male. I have though about getting some more Rams and growing them up in another tank, then adding the big Ram once they get a couple inches long. But the next tank I get is likely going to be marine.

My Blue Ram is still like grimlock's avatar. I'm looking forward to having him look like that pic you just posted :yum:

WRT how they look, I found that the colors and dark spots/stripes on mine were very faint on the fish in the store, and then came and went after I brought him home. Now they're consistently dark, and that blue/purple sheen when the light catches him- wow! My Apistos did the same thing, with colors and spots starting out quite faded, but now looking bright I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your water conditions are good, even a fairly dull fish at the pet store can turn into a beauty!

krap101 said:
only ones we can get around here are like a dull yellow with 1-2 really faded stripes and barely noticeable eye stripe thingy.

females?

Grimlock, your Rams coloring is awesome! They grow up fast, don't they? *sniff, sniff* :)

Back
Top Bottom