Do you go fishing for sport?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you go fishing as a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Felf said:
oh and about using live bait? it's better to use live bait, that way we minimize the amount of foreign objects such as plastic lures that will remain there even after we leave this earth; it may be cruel but in the long run it's better.

Not necessarily. I lose very, very few lures over the course of a decade, and for a C&R man like myself, lures are far better than live, as fish tend to be hooked through the lip with lures, but swallow live/real bait right down to their stomach, making a live release nearly impossible (and greatly increasing the mortality rates on those that can be released alive).

Why would you want to kill a marlin. Around here marlin are only targeted as gamefish. Most people spend a lot of their time just trying to land one, but unless they're stupid and don't know about the greatness in preserving them, then uneducated people will continue to keep them. There was one time in which marlin were scarce. Now you must have a restricted species permit in order to keep them. I've been fishing ever since I was 6 years old. We release the same amount of fish we catch and we don't keep undersize fish unlike some people . The FWC does a great job in preserving the fish by enforcing laws that tell you how many fish of a certain species you can catch and the size they have to be to be legal. During the spring/summer months my dad's friends, my dad, and I fish many offshore tournaments some costing as much as $300 per boat to enter just so we can get the opportunity to win a good amount of money. Overall fishing is considered as a sport and to alot of fisherman it is a serious sport, but it can cost tons of money especially offshore fishing, which is why some people go on charters.

I kill them so I can eat them. I'm a consumer and so are you. Fishing since you were 6? I have been fishing since I was 3 and live on an island surrounded by water but it doesnt matter lol. As I said in an earlier post, "We throw back anything that is too small which often times is enormous in comparison to the minimum size."; we also have laws. Our laws are just as specific as yours so don't worry. Fishing isn't a sport to me, it's part of my heritage. My family came from a fishing village in Japan so I'm not totally oblivious to the ideals of preservation. I'm also a member of the Keehi Boat Club which is a non-profit organization. There are coordinated cleanups for the harbor, Easter Seals fishing tournaments, deep sea fishing tournaments, etc. The minimum weight for each species of fish in the club is a lot higher than that of the state's minimum sizes. Anyway, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm always interested to talk to other anglers and hear about their experiences so maybe we can chat and share some fishing tales sometime.

Not necessarily. I lose very, very few lures over the course of a decade, and for a C&R man like myself, lures are far better than live, as fish tend to be hooked through the lip with lures, but swallow live/real bait right down to their stomach, making a live release nearly impossible (and greatly increasing the mortality rates on those that can be released alive).

I only had a fish swallow the bait whole once in my life but I agree with you on the increased mortality rates. The majority of the fish that swallowed everything were caught on lures for me, maybe because those japanese lures are so damn good or the fish bit when I was sleeping :p Man I should join a fishing forum already...

I think the live bait argument is more directed toward freshwater fish. Growing up I would go fishing with my grandfather and we'd use live bait. There were a FEW times (and I mean 3 or 4 times out of years of fishing) I remember the fish getting the bait and hook down in its throat and once one had to be killed to get the hook out. But I now go fishing with my boyfriend and he tought me to pull on the line when I felt the nibbling which insures you get the fish in the lip or nothing at all. Since starting that 2 years, I haven't had a problem with fish trying to swallow the bait and hook.

rubysoho said:
But I now go fishing with my boyfriend and he tought me to pull on the line when I felt the nibbling which insures you get the fish in the lip or nothing at all. Since starting that 2 years, I haven't had a problem with fish trying to swallow the bait and hook.

But you are amongst the minority....most bait-chuckers do not tend their lines that closely.

very true, I was just slipping that information in so maybe other live-bait users could use the same thing. Still, it is possible for larger fish to swallow the lures as well.

I think the live bait argument is more directed toward freshwater fish.

You might be right ruby. I don't know much about freshwater fish but most of the saltwater fish we target bite their prey initially (depending on the size of the bait of course) rather than inhale it. I like watching those banjo minnow infomercials where they show lazy/low metabolism largemouth bass suck that lure in like it was nothing lol. We have to constantly monitor our lines no matter what kind of bait we're using because those big ones can strip a reel in a matter of seconds so we're always close enough to set the hook immediately.

Thats why they have circle hooks :!: When you hookup it snags the fish right in the lips so it will be easier for you to take the hook out of its mouth.

Blazeherd2306 said:
Thats why they have circle hooks :!: When you hookup it snags the fish right in the lips so it will be easier for you to take the hook out of its mouth.

More why they have single, barbless hooks....circle hooks are a bit better than regular hooks, but are by no means proof against swallowing or severe hooking.

I fish as often as possible, 3 seasons. None of that winter stuff for me.

Mortality rates for C&R fishing are widely variable. It depends on so many factors, and differs greatly by species, season, temps, salinity, you name it.

I have lip-hooked striped bass in FW during August and they die easy because of lack of salt in the water and too high temps. The same fish, catch it exactly the same way in April or October, survives no problem. Also, I've caught Walleye, Smallmouth and Pike/Pickerel from a cold lake with obvious wounds from previous catches (such as 1/3 gills missing) that were fat and healthy.

I'm a huge proponent of barbless hooks if you are C&R fishing. It makes landing fish very challenging, and survival rates must be better.

As for what I practice, mostly C&R, but I take some home to eat too. Fish are Yummy!

One more thing, when I'm done filleting a fish, theres always bits and pices of meat I can still carve off. I feed that to my Aquarium fish and they go nuts for it!

Back
Top Bottom