Do you guys do PWC while you have baby fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes. just be careful. if using a python be very aware of where the tube is in the tank. when replacing the water put faucet on slow so as not to disturb.

You can scoop water out with a pitcher to avoid fry at the bottom of the tank. Or, you can put pantyhose over the end of your gravel vac to avoid sucking any up (won't help much for debris, though). Alternatively, you can use a turkey baster (or similar) to suck up any junk off the bottom of the tank. Congrats on the fry, and good luck!

a few more regular waterchanges will be an advantage to the babies growth rate.
I have a feeling thats more what you were asking. In addition though, I to run a flyscreen cover over my hose when draining any water from the tank just in case.
(more so because it's 100gal and draining takes forever and i can watch it 100%)

I have tons of guppy fry and do 2 water changes a week with a python. I watch the tube carefully with my hand on the shut off valve. I always see if they get into the tube and turn it off and release them.

I have all the baby fry sectioned off with a tank divider but didn't know if they could handl the change in water. Thanks for all the good answers.

I do many water changes with baby fry. I try to keep the Nitrate readings barely existant in the tank and do two or three a week. It helps them grow faster since you have to feed them multiple times per day.

TomK2 said:
Yep. Try not to suck them up. they usually run away from the python.

Mine don't they swim right up next to it and the suction pulls them up to the panty hose and holds em there. Then I have to back off the suction and let them swim away only for them to come back and do it again. Eventually just stopped using it on the fry tank.

darburks said:
I have all the baby fry sectioned off with a tank divider but didn't know if they could handl the change in water. Thanks for all the good answers.

Thats a good idea, I may do that next time. I have a seperate 10 gallon fry tank but I may divide it with just enough room for the python to fit inside.

I use a normal gravel vac, and then sift through the pail to make sure no frys got sucked in. Sometimes the odd fry does get curious and wants to check the gravel vac out only to end up going for a ride in it.

You want to change the water because the amonia in the water is said to prevent the frys from growing.

Back
Top Bottom