Do You Have Any Rummy Nose Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you have any, what are the tank mates?
My 75 gal tank has Silver Dollars, Firemouths & Parrot fish. I'd love to add a few Rummy Nose Tetra. I know they're a schooling fish. Do you think they'd get along?

My 75 gal tank has Silver Dollars, Firemouths & Parrot fish. I'd love to add a few Rummy Nose Tetra. I know they're a schooling fish. Do you think they'd get along?
The quick answer.... NO! The firemouths will most likely eat them if the Silver Dollars don't get them first. :eek:

Best tankmates for Rummies are other elongated, non aggressive tetras, Rasboras, Angels ( if the rummies are there first), Rams ( same as Angels), Pencilfish, Hatchetfish, smaller gourami, etc. Nothing fast moving or typically aggressive will make your Rummies much more relaxed in the tank.

Hope this helps. (y)

I cant see the SD eating them, but I've not had personal experience. The Firmouths might grab one now and again, but if you get a large school you should be fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

If you put them in that tank...the ones that didn't hide constantly would surely become a quick meal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have them with my Angelfish. They were living peacefully for a good while and then half of them disappeared. I don't know if my angel killed them or what happened but the last few are living well with the Angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have them with my Angelfish. They were living peacefully for a good while and then half of them disappeared. I don't know if my angel killed them or what happened but the last few are living well with the Angel.

Do you know if they are wild angels?

My LFS says wild angels are aggressive, while bred ones are more peaceful.

I've had several angels with my tetras, in have no issues so far. But my angels were as big as a nickel (5cents) when we purchased them, and grew as big as my palm

My now rummy nose share the tank with rams, angels and discus.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My angels were not wild. I only have one left now and he/she's pretty peaceful. The only time he was ever aggressive was when I put the Rummynose tetras in the bag to float. The tetras were pretty quick so I thought they'd be able to hide and get away but I've got them in a 30 gallon so it may just not be enough room for them to get away. I think keeping the Angel well fed is critical. Basically I wasn't sure how much to feed my angel once he got big (he's huge now!) and I think I was feeding him as if he were a juvenile instead of a full grown. I haven't had any incidents since I upped his amount of food. However, I do not know for sure that the Angel ate the tetras. I just strongly suspect it, since they disappeared.

I definitely agree with the comment above, but Angels are unpredictable. I hear all the time how community friendly they are, but it really depends on individual personality. I had one that was as mean as any highly aggressive fish that you could think of and I had others that were as peaceful as could be.

Rummy nose are best kept in a group of at least 6 but more is even better.
I don't think they would survive with your fish, apart from being eaten rummy nose are too peaceful to stand up for themselves.
I keep rummy nose with 8 other species of tetra and have no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 5 rummy nose Tetra's in my tank with a dwarf gourami a rubbernose plec and one cardinal tetra.
We did have 5 cardinal's but we had casualties and i am waiting for my water to stabilise enough so i can add more cardinals.
The rummynose's are really quite happy letting him tag along though. :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom