Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

do you need to change substrate?

Hi!
I have a 2 1/2 year old healthy freshwater tank which is about 110 litres (sorry, im in the uk, not sure about gallons!!) with some fantail and common goldfish in it. I was just wondering if you should replace the substrate at all? I just have gravel which is about an inch and a half deep, which is obv regularly cleaned with a vac during my water changes. But is there ever a need to replace it/ take it all out and clean the bottom of the tank?
Thanks in advance!
Grace

Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No there is no need to replace it or clean under it. Just gravel vac it real good with each water change.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Changing Substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace1234 View Post
Hi!
I have a 2 1/2 year old healthy freshwater tank which is about 110 litres (sorry, im in the uk, not sure about gallons!!) with some fantail and common goldfish in it. I was just wondering if you should replace the substrate at all? I just have gravel which is about an inch and a half deep, which is obv regularly cleaned with a vac during my water changes. But is there ever a need to replace it/ take it all out and clean the bottom of the tank?
Thanks in advance!
Grace
Hello Grace...

If the water chemistry in your 28 gallon tank is stable, you don't need to change anything. Standard gravel is fine. I'd recommend changing half the tank water every week or so. Goldfish are very high waste producers and you want to keep the water as pure as possible to keep your fish and any plants healthy.

Everything in the tank water will eventually dissolve. So, by removing and replacing a large volume of the water every week or so, you'll romove the toxins that dissolve in the water. Vacuuming isn't really necessary and the material that settles to the bottom dissolves and nourishes your plants.

B
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! Yeah, I deliberately got a filter which was more powerful than normal for my tank size as I knew they were very messy fish. I do 25% a week and thats just right I think, in combination with the vacs and big filter. Thanks for confirming this, I thought it was probobly not necessary but I just wanted to check!
Cheers!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com