Do you need to use a Filter Bag ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have canister Filter and the filter bags that I have will not fit . I was wondering do I have to put my media (such as carbon) into a bag, or can I just toss it into the tray ?

I have canister Filter and the filter bags that I have will not fit . I was wondering do I have to put my media (such as carbon) into a bag, or can I just toss it into the tray ?

I would absolutely add carbon into the filter bag. That being said, carbon is unnecessary. What other types of filter media do you have? Most are fine without a bag.

In a cycled tank, with adequate filtration, suitable stocking levels and a good water changing routine there is no need for any active filter media, be it carbon or ammonia remover. The inert filter media should colonise enough bacteria to do do the job. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with the set up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've tried carbon without a bag a few times but it comes in pellets now here and they tend to get sucked through the filter.

Back
Top Bottom