Do you pro-actively medicate your QT fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanR

Aquarium Advice Regular
And if so, with what? I've always put in new fish in to quarantine and medicated when necessary, but I see some folks mention that they always medicate new fish just in case. If that's the case, wondering what/how you medicate the fish preemptively and what you are using. Seems like the last couple of batches of fish I picked up showed problems in the second or third week of QT. The last round resulted in a fungal infection that killed off all but two of the new GBRs I bought and a bulldog pleco that lived in the QT tank. And this was from a private breeder that assured me "It's good to quarantine fish, but you don't really have to with mine, they are all healthy". The disaster from his fish was worse than any health issues I've had with store-bought fish.

Anyhow, looking at picking up some new fish this week and debating if I should medicate when I start QT. Still very new to this hobby and learning constantly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dan

Well I can't say that you should medicate your QT, I never have and have only lost a few that were purchased from a store that shall go in-named .
I just haven't had any problems

I QT all new fish I introduce to my breeding pools.

Since I catch wild stock to add new blood to my breeding stock. I use Parinox.

I can honestly say I don't lose fish and I have over a thousand.

Freshwater and saltwater fish. ALso invertabrates and turtles.

I also use this in my breeding pools 3 times a year.

Only here if I notice an issue. I know some cichlid keepers will use worming meds it seems routinely.

Apart from bacterial infections over summer I find, the main risk here is white spot. But then Western Australia is so isolated anyways.

Back
Top Bottom