Do you wear gloves when changing tank water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't and don't at the moment BUT my hands are dry and cracking etc...... OUCH! Plus the Furan2 has all these warnings about cancer and I have dry cracked hands. LOL

How do you guys handle that just moisturize? I know it's a silly question.

Using Rubber Gloves

I haven't and don't at the moment BUT my hands are dry and cracking etc...... OUCH! Plus the Furan2 has all these warnings about cancer and I have dry cracked hands. LOL

How do you guys handle that just moisturize? I know it's a silly question.

Hello j...

I don't usually get my hands in the tank water, but you can get a type of arm length glove especially for use in an aquarium. They're called "Aqua Gloves". A pair is about $20.00 online. Don't use standard rubber gloves. They have a chemical in them that would be toxic to your fish.

B

I don't but I would recommend them if you have cracks or cuts. I had a split in my cuticle and decided to change substrates in one of my tanks. Cut got infected and I can say it was VERY painful.

I use gloves now!! About a year ago was cleaning my cansiter filter media in a bucket of tank water. The next day I noticed a few dry blisters all over my hands. The next day I noticed even more and my hands also began pealing really, really bad. Went to the doctor and he stated that my skin was sensitive to some of the bacteria in the water but it was nothing serious. He instructed me to keep them moisturized with A&D ointment. It took about two weeks for my hands to return to normal. I now use those really long aquagloves. I actually think I was more the goop from the cansister filter rather than the water in the tank it self, but who knows. Better me safe and just use the gloves.

Work in an aquatics department and I've never worn gloves (been over 4 years). My hands are like those of a lady.

i never use gloves,even if i did i think theyed get torn(my fish like to bite...)

to glove or not to glove

As a very retired (has been :)) medic, I suggest you do. Fishy water is in many cases wrought with bacteria. I have actually seen many infected hands with aquarium enthousiasts.
Dont use latex, but plastic of any kind. take the smallest size that will fit your hands, the tighter, the less seepage of dirty water getting through.
After haveig your hands in fisheewater , wash them with a mild soap.
Good luck. HN. (Dr. has been :))

As a very retired (has been :)) medic, I suggest you do. Fishy water is in many cases wrought with bacteria. I have actually seen many infected hands with aquarium enthousiasts.
Dont use latex, but plastic of any kind. take the smallest size that will fit your hands, the tighter, the less seepage of dirty water getting through.
After haveig your hands in fisheewater , wash them with a mild soap.
Good luck. HN. (Dr. has been :))

Hello h...

A medic, cool. Possibly a Hospital Corpsman (HN)? If that's the case, then welcome to the forum shipmate. I'd actually be more interested in your time in service, etc., than the fish end of things. At least for the present.

I'm prior Navy, USN, regular line, a trusty shell back and all the rest if this makes any sense.

Let's talk.

B

Dont use gloves but do see to it that my hands are thoroughly washed when Im done doing a water change. Though that with the gloves sounds like a good idea when one has open wounds on ones hands.

I use gloves now and always have. I'm really paranoid i'll get bit, infections, etc if i don't

Thanks all! I will start using them. Ordered the aqua gloves (thanks for the recommendation!) they arrived today do you soak them or something before use? They are STINKY!

My hands were drying out and cracking with all the tank stuff we are doing around here. Hopefully they will heal up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom