Do your fish spaz when....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak

My fish always spaz when i'm cleaning the glass, they dart wildly all over the tank. Does this happen to anybody else?

Hehe. It's short for spasm, but it means "freak out."

Most fish will do this, though I've found that inquisitive species such as danios and various puffers will welcome an invasive hand and peer at it with great interest!

Species like kribs, groups of fish like tetras, plecos and loaches will certainly dart away if they see you. Most fish are determined to self-preserve, so they want to avoid a potential threat.

Hehehe
All my fishes think it is dinner time whenever they see any activity and the guppies nibble on my hand if it is in the tank, can be ticklish
However they do not like the magnetic glass cleaner. The angels never get rushed by anything

The only thing that freaks my fish out is the net.

I have two particularly stupid fish that like to actually swim INTO the syphon before it makes its way to the gravel, or when I lift it up to move it to another spot.

most will stare at my hand when its in the tank, but not nibble. Except for mollies, mollies think everythings food, including me :D

I have some extremely curious fish. Whether it's food, my hand, the gravel vac, the net.... doesn't matter, they swim right up and start nibbling. Funny sensation on my arm!!! And annoying when I'm trying to gravel vac!

I only have one platy who won't swim up to the net, but as soon as they think I'm after them, they sometimes dart to safety.

I find it funny that my fish dart into hiding if they see me walking 10 feet across the room, but if I clean the glass or stick the siphon in, they are as curious as can be and checking things out, even when they see I'm right there.

My african fish have no fear, they attack my hand, the magnetic cleaner, everything. My amazon tank is completely opposite, every inhabitant rushes into hiding when I even approach the tank.

My tiger barbs and gouramis certainly bite the hand that feeds them, especially the barbs. As soon as they spot me coming close to the tank they're all up front waiting for me. The instant anything touches the water they are at it like a school of hungry pirhanas...and this includes my hand, arm, aquarium vac....you name it.

All but the angels run away from the net. I was doing a major cleaning and rearranging of decor a couple of weeks ago, and one of the angels just wouldn't budge from "her" corner of the tank. She acrually attacked my hand - it was a hoot. . .

My fish generally don't spaz; I do LOL

Hubby taught one of my dwarf gouramis to nibble on his fingers. The lil bugger has a taste for human flesh now, and when I try to gravel vac the tank, he is ALL over my hand. Apparently knuckles are especially tasty. Thing is, it freaks me out LOL I HATE it when the fish touch me when I'm working in the tank.

The angels in my big tank also don't spaz. The gravel vac is either something that needs attacking, or might be food; they're never sure LOL but they follow it around staring at it and occasionally nipping it or trying to bite the debris floating up the tube.

our fish are the same - go beserk (dart around madly looking terrified) when i clean the glass, theyre not like that with any other cleaning or when we're fiddling in the tank - theyre more curious. so i always try to clean the outside of the tank v quickly & using white vinegar/water so i dont stress them too much. :wink:

My Fish spaz when I turn on the light. I've never had any bite my hand except my Goldfish and he thought everything was food including my African Dwarf Frog, after that incident I found him a new home with a friend. Don't mess with my frog, lol

:morning:

Everything in most of my tanks is scared of the Mean Evil Syphon of Death. They pretty much run from it, though I had a dojo loach once who just ignored it and would never move out of the way. The oscars in particular seem to have a fear of it :) The african cichlids just kinda ignore and do whatever.

Beware convicts though :p Those suckers bite. I was shifting some gravel around, unfortunately for me he was purposely building up a pile of rock apparently, and took offense. Tried to take a bite out of me. Didn't hurt too much but startled the hell out of me ;p

except for the loaches, my fish have no fear of the syphon, and my dwarf gourami was actually sucked up into it once when he swam right inside. he was able to fight the current and swim back out and he hasn't repeated the mistake, but is still not as scared of it as i would like him to be. this is the same fish that attacks anyone's fingers when they put them in the tank. however, when i clean the algae off the glass with a rubber scraper, he's terrified. i think the noise scares him. but the funny thing is the cory catfish LOVE the glass cleaning. i think it's because there's suddenly all this tasty algae floating around the water that they weren't able to get off the glass. they swim around like crazy whenever i clean the glass.

My tiger barbs hate cleaning time, they cower and hide when its water change time. They absolutly hate the vaccum cleaner. But boy do they ever put their shyness to the side when they know its dinner time. They actually eat right out of my hand, along with the clown loaches.

In my other tank they are not nearly as spazy. The angel likes to nip my hand and come right over to the glass to see whats happening, he is also a camera hog, loves the camera. He comes right over and needs to be the center of attention and in all my pics. My badis badis love to try to eat my hand and comes to the glass when he sees me.

In my guppy tank its like a tickle war when I put my hand in there, they swim through my fingers, its like they just need to be close to you.

Back
Top Bottom