Does algae in the tank prevent beneficial bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I have quite a bit of algae throughout my 75 gallon tank, which i dont mind as it blends the decor together to look more natural i think. But would that algae prevent good bacteria from being able to colonize on the decor and whatnot? I have plenty of biomedia in my two AC110 filters so i have no issues in the tank in that way. I am wondering because i was thinking of switching one of my filters for an uncycled one to help someone start up their tank without needing to cycle much while their filter got all gunky in my tank :p

No algae will help

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

There's not really enough bacteria buildup on decor and stuff to make a difference. Nearly all BB resides in your filter and a bit in the substrate.

Caleb

I don't see how algae would influence the activity of the beneficial bacteria outside of the filter. The extreme exception might be a bad blue green algae infestation that envelopes your decor and substrate (by restricting flow).
I would go ahead and move the media or the entire second filter out to do cycling assist in the other tank and just keep an eye on the parameters of the primary tank. Feeding less for a few days will help reduce the amount of nutrients introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see how algae would influence the activity of the beneficial bacteria outside of the filter. The extreme exception might be a bad blue green algae infestation that envelopes your decor and substrate (by restricting flow).
I would go ahead and move the media or the entire second filter out to do cycling assist in the other tank and just keep an eye on the parameters of the primary tank. Feeding less for a few days will help reduce the amount of nutrients introduced.

^^^^^This!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. These were my thoughts as well but i wanted a second opinion first lol. The one AC110 i have has the sponge and then filled to the top with bio media, and the other has sponge > filter floss > then filled to the top with crushed coral. So ill probably leave the biomedia one and give her the other with just the sponge and ill fit what little crushed coral i can in hers in the meantime. The sponge would have more than enough for a good group of little community fish :p And of course ill be testing like a madman since my tanks finally stocked and i want to keep it that way lol

I appreciate the help

Back
Top Bottom