Does anyone know these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jellyflesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the Pet Supermarket the other day and i bought two fish like the pictures provided, the first one has longer tendrils on his back fin and longer bottom fins. I'd like to know what kind of fish these are because they were in a tank with random fish, and could the other one be a female? Or just an under developed male?

Attachments

• image-592474194.jpg
    image-592474194.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 104
  • image-2912522838.jpg
    image-2912522838.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 100
Those are lyretail mollies, it's hard to tell in the pictures wether or not they are males or females

Mollies and platies are very similar, and their needs are about the same, so wether they are mollies or platies we can still sex them the same way and they need the same care

Males have a modified anal fin called a gonopodium, while the females don't. They're easy to sex in that respect.

David

Yes, I can't really tell from the pictures, but the one on the left looks like a male

Here's a better picture of the "female" she does have a little bit of flare to her tail but not much

Attachments

• image-3845601363.jpg
    image-3845601363.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 76
Could you try to get one with all of their fins spread out? We'll be trying to tell by their anal fin

Oh ok good, now that you know you have a male and a female, it'd be best to get another female so the ratio will be 1:2 so the male won't bother the one female as much when they mate

These look like Lyretail Golden Panda Mollies. I have a breeding pair of them right now. Very hard to tell from your pictures but sexing mollies is pretty easy. It's all about the anal fin. Females fins are open all the time and much bigger. Male fins are smaller and most always straight back. They are live bearers which means they breed a lot and when they drop they drop live fry. Hope that helps? In the picture the female is the more black one.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 62
Thanks so much! I think i'll go get some females so these guys dont get lonely

Oh ok good, now that you know you have a male and a female, it'd be best to get another female so the ratio will be 1:2 so the male won't bother the one female as much when they mate

I have a breeding pair and my female is the one who chases the male and runs the show.. LOL

Thanks so much! I think i'll go get some females so these guys dont get lonely

I would suggest taking more pictures before you run out and get some platty's as I disagree that they are platty's and think they are Molly's. Also know you will have lots of fry with either of these fish as they are live bearers and the females drop about every 30 days..

I'm pretty sure they are the golden panda lyretail mollies as shown by a previous user, so i dont plan on getting platies

Back
Top Bottom