Does Prime work well for nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just did a 50% water change and my nitrate readings are still higher than I'd like. Thinking about using Prime to reduce them, does it work well?

Are you using API to test? I've had bad issues with API's. Mine was reading 40-80 even after a gravel change and a 70%-80% water change O_O

Used a Salifert and read only 25ppm.

But Prime in my experience doesn't do alot for Nitrate. But does wonders for ammonia and nitrite for 24 to 48 hours :) doesn't get rid of it though, just makes it non toxic for 24 to 48 hours and gives you some time to do a water change.

The only way to remove nitrates is by changing water, 50 ppm? A 50% wc will get you to 25 ppm, another will get you to 12.5ppm. Prime will temporarily detoxify amm and trites..

The only way to remove nitrates is by changing water, 50 ppm? A 50% wc will get you to 25 ppm, another will get you to 12.5ppm. Prime will temporarily detoxify amm and trites..

Ok, so it's a temporary band aid. I may need a better test, API colors are kinda hard to read as well, between the shades of orange and such. I'm overstocked so I really need to keep an eye in nitrates, what's the best tester?

API liquid test is just fine, just re-read the directions, the trate test is an epic pita;)

API liquid test is just fine, just re-read the directions, the trate test is an epic pita;)

Agreed! So there's no real magic potion or treatment that's gets rid if trates, just water changes?

That's debate able, there are products out there said to specifically aid in the removal of nitrates.. I'm a firm believer in clean gravel, filter and 50% weekly wc! Do you vac gravel often??

That's debate able, there are products out there said to specifically aid in the removal of nitrates.. I'm a firm believer in clean gravel, filter and 50% weekly wc! Do you vac gravel often??

About every other week, have lots of plants so its hard to get everywhere. May be I should try to do a section every week? What are the additives that seem to work?

That seems about right, they're not do much additives.. More so filter media... You could try adding done nitrate loving plants like anarchis or hornwort..

That seems about right, they're not do much additives.. More so filter media... You could try adding done nitrate loving plants like anarchis or hornwort..

That sounds like a good idea, I look into getting some anarchis, thanks! Filters about a month or so old, thought that might've cause it too?

Tanks a year and a half, I'm about 25% over stocked based on aqua advisor. I have an Aquaclear 70, tanks 30 gallons

Back
Top Bottom