does the waterfall need to splash on power filters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have an aquaclear mini on my 10 gallon.

i was wondering,
does the waterfall need to splash on these hang-on-back filters??

because I fill the tank straight up to the lip of the outflow (i hate the splashing noise)

I have a Aquaclear 110 on a 55gal tank. I normally keep the water level up to the lip of the filter. If I need extra air in the tank I drop the level down about 2 inches and let it fall. Most of my fish don't like the strong current so that is why I try and keep it up to the lip of the filter.

I'll second the no. The newer designs, penguin B series, even have special "ramps" that allow the water to roll into the tank without a splash.

No splashing here (Ehiem canisters)

I did find the Penguin 200B on one of my old tanks rather soothing though :oops:

wow, all the responses for a splash.....i dont have to pee or get sleepy...lol

just messing with you guys :lach:

no there really doesnt have to have a waterfall, just as long as you have some surface aggitation or water movement and its fine :D

The splash is Feng-shui....you MUST HAVE THE SPLASH OR BE COMDEMNED TO MISERY AND FINANCIAL RUIN!!!!

Aside from that, if you can learn to enjoy a bit of splashing, it certainly does assist in oxygenating the water.

So do plants :p

I actually keep the level up so the splash doesn't drown out my stereo or TV. I have something like a Pengiun 730 in my 15 gal tank and it can get noisy when the level drops, and two other two 10 gal tanks have the TopFin Powerfilter 10. The TopFin ones are quiet.

Back
Top Bottom