Does Vitamin D really work with split tails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt68005

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of my guppies have split tails, I think from too large water changes or poor water quality...not ammonia nitrate, but city water supply old pipes and whatnot. Others have tails that may have been nipped by females and mating sparring. I have heard that vitamin D helps with split tails. Is there truth to this? How would i go about it....im pretty much broke until next friday, but i do have some 500iu vitamin D pills. How do you give Vit. D to a fish anyways?

If you did large water changes there's a high possibility that your water quality is good.
Do yourself and your fish a favor, don't go adding stuff to your tank not knowing the fish's problem or the side effects of the additive.
Water quality is very important for the health of the fish and the way to get it is through water changes.
Perhaps the issue with the split tail could be a nipping aggression thing going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was going to try researching this during the weekend. I've never heard of anything here.

I've noticed that since switching to better food that has seemed to make a difference on healing time. Or maybe they are just too fat and happy now to get into much mischief :)

Huh. I can't see why it would.

Humans make vitamin d from cholesterol with sunlight. Don't know if fish do. Its important for immunity but not for wound healing.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It is a guppy only tank. Don't think it's nipping but I could have had one mean fish or something. Im talking more abiut splitting not nipping. Some guppy people say when they show guppies hitting them with like a large water change at the show makes the tails split. Some guy told me he used vitamin D and his fish don't get split tails anymore. Just wondering if there's any truth to that.....

Looking at the fish food it has vitamin A, then D3, B12, E, and C as last.

D3:

http://www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-ingredients.html

D-Activated Animal Sterol

An animal sterol treated with uv-radiation to form Vitamin D1. In essence, this is a synthetic product that simulates how animals autocreate vitamin D from sunlight. Its useful supplement for our fish that receive no sunlight.

Hmm, I see NLS calls it D3 but the link notes it as D1 for D-Activated Animal Sterol.

Last edited:
Ah. I could see how D vitamin along with other healthy foods helps promote stronger tissues.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom