Dojo loach escaping the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I made some screen tops for the tank my dojo loach is in now, but then switched to canister filters instead of internal filters, so there are gaps where the tubing rests on the back of the tank. I ordered versa tops from Amazon on Wednesday when I realized that I hadn't thought of the gaps (same day I switched out the filters) but Amazon hasn't shipped them yet. This dojo has escaped before when I forgot to put a lid on after feeding before I went to work, so I've placed several plates of water around the room and the past three mornings I've woken up and found him in one of those plates lol. He's perfectly fine and he climbs right onto my hand and seems ok when I put him back in the tank. He eats right away and then lounges on his favorite plant.

Just wondering if dojo loaches just like exploring or if he's unhappy with the tank. He doesn't seem to be unhappy when I watch him in the tank. He cruises around, plays in the java ferns, and tries to hog all the food for himself at every meal lol. All the water parameters are good, the tank is cycled of course (all media in the new canisters are used and cycled) and the other fish seem quite happy, but maybe the tank is just too warm for him? The tank he's in is 76 degrees. Two of my goldfish in another tank are almost big enough to go in the pond, so I can put him in the goldfish tank then which stays around 65-67 degrees (room temperature), but that'll be a few weeks yet.

Has anyone else's dojo seemed to love hanging out outside the tank? Or does mine just really need colder water? He's in a 4 1/2' tank right now, so I'd feel mean putting him in a smaller tank until I can move him. The largest I have open right now is a 20 gallon long. I'd read that dojos prefer cold water but will be just fine at 76 degrees. Maybe that was wrong though?

Second thought, maybe he's lonely? Seems unlikely to me that a fish would seek out a human to hang with, especially when there ARE other fish in his tank, but he has chosen the plates right next to my bed every time instead of any of the others around the room. He used to have a friend...but I forgot to put the lid on the tank down when I went to bed after feeding. I was sick so slept hard and didn't wake up before he dried out :(
Maybe the temp is fine and he needs another friend or two? Right now he's in with some bloodfins and two angels. The tank is about 4 1/2 feet by about 1 1/2' and 2 feet high, so maybe a little understocked anyway. The angels are big though and I wanted lots of plants. Anyway, sorry for the post length, but thoughts anyone?

Answer to the first question: dojo's are escape artists. They like to zoom around the tank, and will zoom right out of it, and they're really good at finding small holes. On the upside, they survive being out of water extremely well due to their peculiar biology, so even if one is dried out, it's worth it to put it in clean dechlorinated water for a few hours and see if it revives.

As for why he lands close to your bed, I won't say he doesn't want to hang, but is that plate placed where he has a longer run up (swim up?) to it maybe? So that's the direction he gets a good enough head of stream going to fly?

2, yes, they tend to prefer lower temperatures like goldfish. Not cold, but sub tropical. But they're fine in the mid 70's.

3, yes, he probably wants company. They are a species where they prefer at least 3 in a tank and more are better. Not schoolers but very sociable fish.

Thanks!

Yes, I read that they could possibly come back if placed in water for a few hours. When my other dojo loach got out, I put him in a container of water for the day, but called it quits later on :( It is very cool that they can hang out outside the water for so long though!

The plates near my bed are some of the closest to the tank, but I have no idea if he explored the whole room before getting there lol. Maybe just trying to say "ok, I'm done. Now put me back and feed me!" :p

If the temp's ok then he must just be an adventurer lol. I'll definitely get him a couple friends :) Maybe 3 or 4 as soon as I can find them! Thanks again! :)

some loachs will try to escape if the water conditions are not to there liking so check your water
try cutting a hole in a piece of rigid plastic and put the tubes thru that and cover the hole with the plastic

Back
Top Bottom