Dojo Loach Temp Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been reading that dojo loaches are coldwater fish and do better in temperatures around 68-70 degrees instead of warmer, tropical temperatures.

Do you guys know if this is true, and if so, will it make a difference, ie stress him out or anything to be in a warm tank?

If this is a problem, does anyone have recommendations for an eel-like or dojo loach-like tropical fish that would work better (in a 40 gallon tank with peaceful tankmates)?

I don't know about keeping them in warm tanks, but dojo loaches have been classified as an invasive species here in northern Illinois. If they can survive the weather here, they're pretty hardy.

Yeah, I figured he could survive, considering I think he was in a warm water at the LFS... I was just thinking it'd suck if he was stressed out...

i had dojo's before and they all jumped out of my tank. make sure you're tank is well covered.

Was your tank not covered, or did they push off a light covering?

one part of it wasnt covered, the return line from my sump, they managed to jump through that little hole :(

ive kept a dojo loach in my tropical tank for over a year now and he's been thriving. When i bought him from the lfs he was in a tropical tank though. Ive also had them in coldwater tank and they've acted the same (always crazy lol) and as long as you keep a hood on the tank he wont be able to push through :D look luck there a fun fish to keep.

Back
Top Bottom