Dojo/Weather Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spewns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the past I have had Loaches, kulii's. This time I purchased one that tolerates cooler water. Reasearch led me to consider the Dojo/Weather Loach. Now I expected to rarely see this loach but was pleasantly surprised to see it active in the light.........did I say active?.........This guy's hyper! It wears me out watching him.
Like alot of people I tend to anthropomorphize my pets but this guy is either really smart or has a heck of a sense of smell/taste. When I feed the fish those frozen gumdrops I put them in one of those plastic feeders with the holes in the cone. The fish kinda just sit in front of the cone waiting for the food to thaw and fall out...... like ignorant cattle. Not the loach. He starts his hyper swimming and then goes to the feeder and starts pulling out all the food through the holes, picking out the brine shrimp from the greens, scattering the food throughout the tank.
Of course,the cattle then feed. Its not like this loach is underfed.
Has anyone else had or have one of these loaches? I'm curious if this is characteristic of this type of Loach. Thanks. ~Lisa~

weather loach

I had one many years ago. Sometimes he would act like yours, then other times was only active at night. He always knew when the swordfish were having babaies and would folow the female around eating the fry practically as soon they popped out. After a year or so, he jumped out. I don't know if jumping is common with them , but that's my expaerience. All in all a very cool fish.

a very cool fish, i'd say. just saw them at petco the other day. i'd pick one up if i had a place to put it.

Back
Top Bottom