Dr. Tim's One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daxhua

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Tim's One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria? Does it really help establish BB colonies and cycle tank faster?

I'm planning on moving my fish/plants to a larger FW tank (54gal to a 100gal) in the next two months and I want to make sure I have all my bases covered and cause the least amount of stress to my fish as possible (no casualties). I plan on using my XP4 filter I have running right now and purchasing a second using media from my XP2 filter to seed the new XP4. Since I'm moving to a new place and setting up the new tank at the same time I want it to cycle, add my fish and plants quickly so I can focus on moving my stuff out to my new place. If this product works then I want to use it as a boost for my BB and minimize cycle time and fish stress with no losses.
Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

if your moving all of the fish as well as your filter containing all of the old media you shouldnt have to cycle the entire tank again as long as you keep the same number of fish(i.e the same bioload)

if your moving all of the fish as well as your filter containing all of the old media you shouldnt have to cycle the entire tank again as long as you keep the same number of fish(i.e the same bioload)

+1

But yes, Dr. Tim's One and Only does work. It is similar to Tetra Safestart, but contains a different formula. It does add some benefit for your system, but not worth it if you already have enough bacteria established IMO.

Check water parameters every other day and do water changes as needed.

Actually, I've used it twice before--once with a 5-gallon betta tank and the other with a 27-gallon community tank. It worked both times, although each time I used a little more than the bottle recommended (according to the Dr. Tim's website, you can't overdose a tank with it). In each case, I added the Dr. Tim's, the water turned cloudy, and then I added the fish. I never had an ammonia or nitrite spike, and within a few days, I had definite nitrates present.

BHead707 is right that you wouldn't really need the Dr. Tim's if you're moving the old media into the new tank, but, if as you said, you'd just like to boost the BB in the new tank, the Dr. Tim's ought to do that for you--and shouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks guys,
I've helped friends and relatives with moving their tanks to a new home or apt but I have always noticed the tanks going through a mini cylce for the first day or two and then return to normal afterwards. When I've helped with moving fish to a bigger tank I usually take my time and make sure the tank is fully cycled before I add the fish.
Maybe I'm worrying over nothing but I'm the kind of guy that likes to be prepared in advance. I'm glad to hear this stuff works but now that leads me to another question.
Since this product is a little expensive and since I'm really only looking for a BB boost to speed up my tanks nitrogen cycle, would Tetra Safestart, or Seachem Stability be a good and cheaper alternative?

I tried stability, I still had to cycle

so in my experience it diddnt work, im almost finished my cycle now but I dont think the stability had any effect at all

I used StartSmart once, and it REALLY worked for me. I've never tried any others.

I was speaking of stability, and I did follow the directions on the bottle

wasnt for me I guess

If your using those products for a brand new tank without an established bb colony and if your not adding an ammonia source then yeah they aren't going to work.

Dang I never heard of this stuff, i've been trying to cycle my tank for almost 5 weeks now. Ordered this tonight we'll see if it helps

You got other problems if you can't cycle the tank without these products.

When I used the Dr. Tim's One and Only, I followed the directions except for adding a little more than the recommended minimum amount. After adding the One and Only, I added the betta to the 5 gallon tank, and he did fine. In the 27 gallon tank, I added the One and Only, then put in 6 black tetras (pretty hardy fish). I left them in the tank for several weeks to let the BB build up before adding some nerite snails and Von Rio tetras. A few weeks after that, I added albino coreys. So far, everyone's been healthy!

Im still at 4ppm ammo, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, steady ph of 7.8 and steady temp of 84. When my one and only shows up ill do a large water change, let it cycle overnight then add the one and only to see what happens? Im tired of waiting

Im still at 4ppm ammo, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, steady ph of 7.8 and steady temp of 84. When my one and only shows up ill do a large water change, let it cycle overnight then add the one and only to see what happens? Im tired of waiting

Lack of kH? I can't think of any other reason why a tank can't develop any bacteria on its own. I had the same problem in the past. NOBODY knew how to fix it when I was posting about it. I had to add a bag of crushed coral to see nitrItes.

Would the lack of kh cause higher or lower ph? After reading this i tested my ph and it seems a bit higher than last time i tested it (over a week ago) looks closer to 8-8.1 now :( I do have driftwood and plenty of decor mostly plastic plants and a few rocks, also the water is super cloudy which i was hoping to be a bacteria bloom...but apparently not. If I add Dr.Tims one and only would i still have problems growing and maintaining bacteria in my tank?

Back
Top Bottom