Dragon Goby doubt...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tex777

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been becoming interested in dragon go us but I just have a few questions:

Do they necessarily need to be in a brackish water environment ?

What tank size do they need as adults?

Do they need to be alone? If not, what would be some good companions?

And finally....

What the heck do they eat???

Thank you to whoever will answer

The brackish water I'm not so sure
But I know they can go along with bumble bee gaby & some invertabrates
They'll eat algae wafers or flakes

they need a brackish tank. not sure on how big,but i think 55 minimum

Sweetie, they looooove worms. The thing is you have to hand feed them. They have really poor eye sight so you literally have to place the food right in their faces. But yes they do eat algae wafflers and shrimp pellets. I don't know about flakes. Salt in the water is preferable but I've heard the adapt well to freshwater; I recommend adding salt. Also be aware they are very sensitive to ammonia and die to just that alone. So, no goldfish! You can keep them with small fish like guppies and tetra without a problem. They won't touch them. All they do is lay about and pick up gravel in their mouths trying to find food. Then spit it back out. The best tank mates for them though are Bumblebee Gobys. My boyfriend keeps his in a 35.

SammyH2O said:
Sweetie, they looooove worms. The thing is you have to hand feed them. They have really poor eye sight so you literally have to place the food right in their faces. But yes they do eat algae wafflers and shrimp pellets. I don't know about flakes. Salt in the water is preferable but I've heard the adapt well to freshwater; I recommend adding salt. Also be aware they are very sensitive to ammonia and die to just that alone. So, no goldfish! You can keep them with small fish like guppies and tetra without a problem. They won't touch them. All they do is lay about and pick up gravel in their mouths trying to find food. Then spit it back out. The best tank mates for them though are Bumblebee Gobys. My boyfriend keeps his in a 35.

Thank you!!

You don't have to hand feed them. My two come out at feeding time and do just fine.

They are a brackish fish that needs a salinity of around 1.008. They are wild caught then converted to FW by the suppliers. For them to be healthy they need the BW. They will start to slough off scales and slim coat if kept in FW. They can get up to 24 inches.

And BTW, if you are keeping them in BW as they should be kept, you can't have tetras with them.

DragonFish71 said:
You don't have to hand feed them. My two come out at feeding time and do just fine.

They are a brackish fish that needs a salinity of around 1.008. They are wild caught then converted to FW by the suppliers. For them to be healthy they need the BW. They will start to slough off scales and slim coat if kept in FW. They can get up to 24 inches.

And BTW, if you are keeping them in BW as they should be kept, you can't have tetras with them.

Yeah their health will deteriorate in FW

I've been becoming interested in dragon go us but I just have a few questions:

Do they necessarily need to be in a brackish water environment ?

What tank size do they need as adults?

Do they need to be alone? If not, what would be some good companions?

And finally....

What the heck do they eat???

Thank you to whoever will answer

Yes they need BW. A scientist on another forum recommended to keep them in BW of ~1.013-1.015.
He also recommended to house 1 DG inside a 4ft long tank, and its better to house them alone or you could always get a bigger tank.

edit: btw many hobbyist end up keeping them in marine water to save money in the long-run. SG of ~1.015 cost too much salt when changing the water weekly.

Terrance said:
Yes they need BW. A scientist on another forum recommended to keep them in BW of ~1.013-1.015.
He also recommended to house 1 DG inside a 4ft long tank, and its better to house them alone or you could always get a bigger tank.

edit: btw many hobbyist end up keeping them in marine water to save money in the long-run. SG of ~1.015 cost too salt when changing the water weekly.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom