Dragon goby in freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know that dragon gobies are best suited for brackish tanks, but:

The dragon gobies in my lfs are always housed in freshwater. If I wanted a dragon goby in a freshwater tank permanently, would this be okay since they are not going from brackish to fresh? Would they have a shorter life span in freshwater?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Eventually their slime coat will slough off making them more prone to disease. They do need the salt to keep healthy. Yes, they can live in fresh, but not thrive. One thing most people don't know is that they are wild caught in brackish, then thrown into fresh. Those that survive are then sent off for sale.

I keep two in brackish. The best salt for them is reef salt, not table salt or aquarium salt. Reef salt has all the minerals needed just like the water they were in in the wild when they were captured. Aquarium salt doesn't have all of that.

Table spoon of marine or reef salt per 5g of water I believe is there preference (full marine being a half cup per gallon, if I remember right

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would the salt hurt live freshwater plants?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a planted brackish tank. Some species of plants do well in brackish, but it also depends on the SG (specific gravity/salt content). If you keep it at the lower end 1.005-1.009 vals, some swords, anubias, java ferns and moss, tiger lotus and a few others do well.

Back
Top Bottom