Drift Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS sells driftwood and I was wondering if I could get some help with it. How do I know if it is safe for my tank? They put a piece in their tank for a second to show me the color but should I just assume they know what they are doing? And also It does not sink and I do not have the time or space to soak it. Any suggestions?

If they have pieces in their tanks, see if they will sell you one. My LFS does that all the time.

Other than that, unless you know what type of wood it is, you can't be sure about it being tank safe.

As for soaking, depending on the size, you can use a bucket, pot, plastic tub etc. I run all mine through the dishwasher, WITHOUT soap. The hot water helps penetrate the wood so it's easier to sink and it also cleans the wood.

If they have pieces in their tanks, see if they will sell you one. My LFS does that all the time.

Other than that, unless you know what type of wood it is, you can't be sure about it being tank safe.

As for soaking, depending on the size, you can use a bucket, pot, plastic tub etc. I run all mine through the dishwasher, WITHOUT soap. The hot water helps penetrate the wood so it's easier to sink and it also cleans the wood.
Soap residue left over in the dishwater doesnt hurt it?

Back
Top Bottom