Drift wood ._.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

king_of_biscuit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i know this might be a newbie question but i found out drift wood makes the water a yellow colour...does that effect the fish in any way??

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so i know this might be a newbie question but i found out drift wood makes the water a yellow colour...does that effect the fish in any way??

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Absolutely nuttin. The wood is 'leaching' tannins which is causing the yellow hint. Tannins also try to lower ph so just keep an eye on it. Prob want alter much.

Keep doing water changes as normal and eventually the tannins will mellow out until the water is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As was said, tannins leach out into your water and can lower your pH. It shouldn't be enough to matter at all, and the change is rather gradual so the fish won't be shocked. Eventually the color will die down after doing enough water changes, but it can take a good few weeks.

Some fish actually like the tannins. Charcoal in your filter will help remove them quicker if you are worried about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep Amazonian fish, Oscar and pleco which like tannins. You can add items such as peat, blackwater extract or liquid peat as well to achieve the effect. Indian Almond leaves, oak leaves and alder cones added to the tank will also do the same and if you like
The look of leaf litter in the tank, it adds a nice effect. My fishes colours really "pop" with this.

I keep Amazonian fish, Oscar and pleco which like tannins. You can add items such as peat, blackwater extract or liquid peat as well to achieve the effect. Indian Almond leaves, oak leaves and alder comes added to the tank will also do the same and if you like
The look of leaf litter in the tank, it adds a nice effect. My fishes colours really "pop" with this.

I'm so glad I saw this! Maybe that's why mine isn't showing colors much....

Great. They like soft acidic water if it's your Oscar your referring to. I had to edit the post. It was meant to say alder cones.

Back
Top Bottom