Drift wood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if I was to buy some drift wood that has been planted from the pet store would I still need to treat it for tannins? Also I noticed there were some small white spots on it, they looked like maybe fish eggs, if I was to buy a piece with the eggs would it be a good idea to let them hatch? Also I assume they would dry out so should I take some water to put the DW in to keep the eggs moist?

well since you dont know what they are and they could be a nuisance snail eggs i would just boil it or soak it in the hottest water u can. im picky about dw so be careful. any time you transfer something from one tank to another it should be thoroughly cleaned .imo.

... Every store is prob only different. At mine the drift wood is on a shelf. Just ask someone there what the deal is. They would know better than anyone here. And the eggs could be tons of things I would ask about that too. Don't be embarrassed to look stupid when you ask. It's your tank and money. Don't ruin or waste it because you want the LFS to think you know tanks. Everyone starts learning somewhere. Good luck to ya! God bless.

Thanks to both of you! I can see the fish that are in the tank but I don't know if that's what they are or not, they did have what looked like DW on a shelf but it was in the reptiles department and didnt look quite as dark as DW but that maybe because its dry. I don't mind the snails, I have a couple of assassin to keep them in check :) I actually think I may need a separate tank for breeding pest snails to feed my assassins or to just get rid of the assassins.

I would definitely boil it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom