driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are the advantages of using driftwood if there are any I would be using it in a 55 comm tank if there is a pro to it other than concealment for the fish since I have plenty of it

If you get driftwood its more natural environment for the fish and they enjoy swimming in around all the bits of wood. It also looks great in the tank but if you get a particualr large bit then normally some slate tied to the bottom of the driftwood will help it sink.

the drift wood also helps lower the PH of your water. and i know plecos need it to help balance out there diet

IMO, it's mainly there for us. That's why it's in my tanks... And to attach java fern and anubias. It has some other advantages as well. Most, if not all, plecos enjoy munching on it. Some people say that it will lower pH, i've never seen this. I believe that some tannins will lower pH, which may be the case. Tannins also replicate the natural environment of some fish. If you've seen the show 'Ax Men', you'll notice that the Suwannee river has a very yellowish brownish tint to it, with almost no visibility under water. This is because of the tannins released from all of the sunken timber. Some people set up 'blackwater' tanks to replicate this.

Back
Top Bottom