Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have boiled my driftwood or bogwood for about 45mins or more twice, changing the water on between. Now I have it soaking. It has been soaking for about three days now and the water.is a bit discolored. should I just put the piece in the tank or wait longer? it is a small piece that would go into my 5 gal. will carbon rid of the tanin color?

Brandonaki360 said:
I have boiled my driftwood or bogwood for about 45mins or more twice, changing the water on between. Now I have it soaking. It has been soaking for about three days now and the water.is a bit discolored. should I just put the piece in the tank or wait longer? it is a small piece that would go into my 5 gal. will carbon rid of the tanin color?

If there's no rush let it soak a little more. The tannins aren't going to hurt it and sounds like you got most of it. It's boiled which is good. If you do put it in its not gonna ruin your tank IMO I know people who want that color and put DW in there tanks without doing anything to it on purpose. I don't see the big deal either way.

Just remember DW can alter your pH.

Keep replacing the water in the bucket. I put driftwood in my tanks about 9 months ago and the tannins are just getting manageable now. Sometimes it just takes awhile depending on the type of driftwood.

Keep in mind, too, that fish like tannins! It's people that don't. ;)

i put a large piece in my tank after only soaking it for a few days, took ages to calm it down, do like to colour in the water now

LyndaB said:
Keep replacing the water in the bucket. I put driftwood in my tanks about 9 months ago and the tannins are just getting manageable now. Sometimes it just takes awhile depending on the type of driftwood.

Keep in mind, too, that fish like tannins! It's people that don't. ;)

Yeah, I am not sure in the type of driftwood I have. I got it from my lfs. I thought it said bogwood but im not 100% sure. I think I will just soak it for a few more days. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I had a large piece. It took 30 days, changing water every day to finally get the water clear! Soak yours longer and get it clear unless you don't mind brown water! The tannis will not harm anything!

Back
Top Bottom