Driftwood??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided that as soon as our flood gates are opened, I am going to start looking for driftwood. I live in Vicksburg, MS and I'm right in the MS river. I think everyone knows how nasty the MS river is, so I have a few questions...

Do I have to look for any specific type of wood? What is the best way to clean it? Is there anything I should look out for once its in my aquarium? How much is too much? Thank in advance!

Spray it down with a pressure washer; give it a saltwater bath for a week, and then boil it.

David

Spray it down with a pressure washer; give it a saltwater bath for a week, and then boil it.

David

Thank you! I don't have a pressure washer, but I can scrub it really well and rinse before soaking and boiling.

I have decided that as soon as our flood gates are opened, I am going to start looking for driftwood. I live in Vicksburg, MS and I'm right in the MS river. I think everyone knows how nasty the MS river is, so I have a few questions...

Do I have to look for any specific type of wood? What is the best way to clean it? Is there anything I should look out for once its in my aquarium? How much is too much? Thank in advance!

Best thing to do it post pics of the driftwood you find. You want it to be solid and not falling a part. Slam it on the ground or against something. It should be heavy and look smooth like its been in the water for a period of time. You don't want it to have bark on it.

Boil it if you can, or just soak it in hot hot water to help get the tannins out.

Keep in mind tannins will not harm your water. I actually like the look. I don't think you need to give it a salt bath, I never heard of that method and never have used it as haven't had any issues with my driftwood.

6 pieces

img_2464122_0_f949621bbf2420b1299d2b062a87799a.jpg

img_2464122_1_a870199b32ebb756b6b3d9254569c524.jpg

1 piece

img_2464122_2_44a69f8c96845478ba67f72c23ee3da5.jpg

Good luck!

Thank you! I don't have a pressure washer, but I can scrub it really well and rinse before soaking and boiling.

I don't think you really need to go all out and scrub it down like your life depended on it. Don't worry about he pressure washer although a good idea. Just boil it, dishwater it, soak it, whatever you gotta do. Just make sure there's no nasties on it.

Also, don't be alarmed if after you put the driftwood in after time you get some white fuzz like fungus on it. It sometimes happens. You can take it out and scrub it or boil it again. Just a friendly heads up.

Best thing to do it post pics of the driftwood you find. You want it to be solid and not falling a part. Slam it on the ground or against something. It should be heavy and look smooth like its been in the water for a period of time. You don't want it to have bark on it.

Boil it if you can, or just soak it in hot hot water to help get the tannins out.

Keep in mind tannins will not harm your water. I actually like the look. I don't think you need to give it a salt bath, I never heard of that method and never have used it as haven't had any issues with my driftwood.

6 pieces

1 piece

Good luck!

Oh my goodness! Your tanks are gorgeous!! Hopefully our flooding will be over in the next few weeks, and I can start looking. Thank you on the advise about what to look for. I will post pics of what I find, and maybe y'all can help me pick the best piece!

I don't think you really need to go all out and scrub it down like your life depended on it. Don't worry about he pressure washer although a good idea. Just boil it, dishwater it, soak it, whatever you gotta do. Just make sure there's no nasties on it.

Also, don't be alarmed if after you put the driftwood in after time you get some white fuzz like fungus on it. It sometimes happens. You can take it out and scrub it or boil it again. Just a friendly heads up.

I can put it in the dishwasher? That sure would be easy! Lol, this seems a bit easier than I thought.

Since I joined this site, everything about my aquarium has changed! Y'all give some good advice! I am trying to go more natural with real plants, sand, and driftwood. I will let y'all know what I find! :)

Oh my goodness! Your tanks are gorgeous!! Hopefully our flooding will be over in the next few weeks, and I can start looking. Thank you on the advise about what to look for. I will post pics of what I find, and maybe y'all can help me pick the best piece!

Yeah for sure bro no problem... Pic some nice stuff, pieces you like and vision them in your tank. Then snap some shots and post them.

Oh and THANKS!!!

I would be very careful with putting pieces in the dishwasher. Newer models have automatic rinsing agents in the machine which could end up putting chemicals in the tank. Just rinse/soak the wood in hot water to remove any nasties and put it in. Power washing it also works quite well.

I dont know if they were joking, but that was my first stop after picking up my driftwood. Amazing amount of junk you blast out of it

So you took your driftwood to the car wash? Am I missing something? How much does the car wash charge to wash driftwood? Do you get the premium wash or regular?

I would be very careful with putting pieces in the dishwasher. Newer models have automatic rinsing agents in the machine which could end up putting chemicals in the tank. Just rinse/soak the wood in hot water to remove any nasties and put it in. Power washing it also works quite well.

I have an older model dishwasher. I think I will steer clear of the dishwasher just in case though.

So you took your driftwood to the car wash? Am I missing something? How much does the car wash charge to wash driftwood? Do you get the premium wash or regular?

I'm sorry, but that is too funny! I think I woke everyone up laughing! Lol

I'm sorry, but that is too funny! I think I woke everyone up laughing! Lol

Haha ya convicts comment had me laughing hahah

I was serious lol. He said grab some change and head to the car wash. I just wanna know what to get! Rain X, hot wax maybe? Interesting method of cleaning driftwood though...

Of course he could have meant a car wash that has a power washer, like those self serve ones.

I was serious lol. He said grab some change and head to the car wash. I just wanna know what to get! Rain X, hot wax maybe? Interesting method of cleaning driftwood though...

Of course he could have meant a car wash that has a power washer, like those self serve ones.

Lol, I think that the rain-x and wax wouldn't allow it to sink. I think it would be best to use the multi colored soap and scrub the heck out of it. I mean, it's multi colored, it just has to clean it!

6 pieces

1 piece

Good luck!

You always have the coolest pics convict haha. Your tanks always look amazing!

Back
Top Bottom