driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put a huge piece of driftwood in my tank and now my water looks like tea i added more carbon and still nothing even with weekly water changes it still stays cloudy if I take the piece out would the water clear up on its own faster?

It's turning tea coloured from the tannins in the wood, the tannins can slightly lower your Ph I believe and it's nothing to worry about, it will go away after soaking in there for a while. Did you boil the piece before putting it in your tank? If you didnt boil it you should have to kill unwanted bacteria and such. You can take it out and soak it in a bucket for a week or so and put it in once the water in the bucket stops turning brown.

I just took it out I bet by mourning it will be a lot better I have 3 big filters runnin all with extra carbon in them so I should see a difference ill boil it for the next week or so and see what happens

I just took it out I bet by mourning it will be a lot better I have 3 big filters runnin all with extra carbon in them so I should see a difference ill boil it for the next week or so and see what happens

You only have to boil it for about 1-2 hours to kill any harmful bacteria. Then just soak it in warm water for the rest of the week. Now I don't know if your water has chlorine, and I'm also unsure if you need to stress coat or dechlorinate the water before soaking the driftwood...so if someone else can chime in on that, that would be great or research it online.

You only have to boil it for about 1-2 hours to kill any harmful bacteria. Then just soak it in warm water for the rest of the week. Now I don't know if your water has chlorine, and I'm also unsure if you need to stress coat or dechlorinate the water before soaking the driftwood...so if someone else can chime in on that, that would be great or research it online.

I boiled my driftwood for around 12 hours. That gets rid of most tannins, makes it sink by itself, and kills harmful bacteria. Or u can soak it in a bucket for 1-2 weeks.

Automatically sink its a huge piece and its heavy. I took it out about a hour ago because I can't stand my water not being clear.

Automatically sink its a huge piece and its heavy. I took it out about a hour ago because I can't stand my water not being clear.

Lol. Me too. U can either boil parts of it for a few hours or get a clean garbage can, put a garbage bag in, and fill it with water to let the driftwood soak.

Lol. Me too. U can either boil parts of it for a few hours or get a clean garbage can, put a garbage bag in, and fill it with water to let the driftwood soak.

Why do you need a garbage bag if the garbage can is clean?

Back
Top Bottom