Driftwood....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everybody!
I was wondering if ANY wood can be made into driftwood for the aquarium...I have some raywood ash trees that have some perfect branches for what I had in mind....But, I still would like to know if ANY wood can be made into driftwood?

Another question, can I grow Phoenix Moss in my aquarium? Does it need high light? I have extremely high pH (8.2) and very hard water, is it a fast grower?? Any help on this moss would be highly appreciated!
Thanks!!!
:) :fish2:
:thanks:

Last edited:
From what I've read I think most hardwoods can be used, but not softwoods because they rot faster. I also read about you have to dry it out first too but I'm not sure why that was.

I believe it needs to age so that there is no remnants of sap. And no bark.

Hi all,
so, you have to soak the wood in water (for 2 weeks) for sinking and getting bacteria off. Then, let it sit out of water? For how long?
:flowers: :thanks:

Hey,
also, does anyone know about Phoenix Moss? I really LLLLLLOVE it and want some, but was wondering about my pH being so high (8.2) and REALLY hard water (300ppm+ :whistle:) and so on!

Last edited:
Hi,
yes, DW does bring it down. Do you know about Phoenix Moss???

You would have to cut the wood after researching to see if that wood is okay for aquariums. Then you have to let it sit and dry out which could take quite a long time. Then after it's completely dried out you would need to boil it. Also not all types of DW lower Ph. Bogwood is the best at lowering Ph.

As for Fissidens Fontanus, which is what your calling Phoenix Moss it does best in more of a medium light and it grows slowly. It does respond well and grow much faster when higher dosing of liquid carbon is used with it. It's like a week in my tank.

Hi Rivercat,
Alright! I love the look of it and think that it would be rad for the tree I'm going to make for my aquarium!!!

You would have to after researching to see if that wood is okay for aquariums.
That's the problem....I can't find anything about THE raywood ash tree....

Hi Rivercat,
Alright! I love the look of it and think that it would be rad for the tree I'm going to make for my aquarium!!!

That's the problem....I can't find anything about THE raywood ash tree....

I found a site that gives a lot of info on the Raywood Ash, but NOT whether its a hardwood! Perhaps someone here who actually knows about trees can determine that from the information given?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=ST265

Back
Top Bottom