Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a piece of driftwood that I'd like to use but it keeps growing sooo much algae on it. Is there a good way to clean it? Should I boil it? Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• image-2681414735.jpg
    image-2681414735.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image-248351370.jpg
    image-248351370.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 57
You can boil it and scrub the heck out of it and use some hydrogen peroxide to kill what's left of it. It would be best to figure out what kind of algae it is and what's causing it.

I think it was growing because the lights are left on so much, there's no fish in the tank I want to use it in right now.

I think it was growing because the lights are left on so much, there's no fish in the tank I want to use it in right now.

That's good, if there's no plants or fish then there's no need to use the lights at all unless you want to, and if you do have plants then shorten your photoperiod to 6-8 hours. If that doesn't work with your schedule you can get a cheap timer to run 4 hours then an off period and back on for 4 hours

Okay so I boiled it and drained the tank and refilled it, I'm going to re-cycle it lol. So I'll just leave the lights off until I add fish. No plants in there yet. Hopefully I can keep the algae away!

Okay so I boiled it and drained the tank and refilled it, I'm going to re-cycle it lol. So I'll just leave the lights off until I add fish. No plants in there yet. Hopefully I can keep the algae away!

I boiled, and boiled.... And boiled some more, just rolling boil for many, many hrs!!!! Few hrs every day for few days. Why so long? I was worried about tannis and the water kept getting brown!!!! Have never had algae problem, maybe it's because I have snails and ghost shrimp in all my tanks

Back
Top Bottom