Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ordered a piece of driftwood from amazon which came from a pet store and I was wondering the proper way of putting it in my tank without making it cloudy and stuff like this. Also what are the pros and cons of driftwood? I'm not convinced I should add it :/ .... I see so many different ways of doing it and just want to know the best. Thanks guys! You're always a big help :)

Well the problem is there is 1000 different ways you can prepare it. You can just let it soak in a bucket of water for weeks/months depending on the piece of driftwood, you can poor boiling water on it and let it soak until the water cools then repeat, or you could literally boil the piece of wood. I love driftwood in aquariums and it is beneficial to the fish. While even if you don't soak the wood long enough it will release tannins into the tank, which can make the tank less attractive to look at it does nothing to harm your fish, and in many cases the darker water actually reduces stress on fish.

Boil the wood or soak like mentioned until the water runs clear. Tannins in the wood can also lower the ph of your water.

Good to know, I've just bought my first piece after pestering the pet store to get some :) I bought a small flattish piece to see how they get on , if its ok I will go get a bigger piece, I'm gonna soak it for a week though :) thank you

Back
Top Bottom