Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does any one know why all of a sudden I am getting black mold on my driftwood?
This has happened 2 times now. The first time I bleached the wood. soaked it in a heavily dechlorinatoring salutation for several days. I tested it for chlorine and it tested 0. I added it back into my tank, and again it is growing black mold. All of the fish are fine, BTW. I threw the wood away, but still curious. Thanks for any input on this matter.

Hello Reb...

Food particles falling into the small cracks and crevices in the piece are likely the cause. There's nothing wrong with the wood that a few Ramshorn snails can't remedy. These are great for the tank. I keep quite a few in my tanks, because of their ability to clean up things, including mold and fungus type growths.

B

Does any one know why all of a sudden I am getting black mold on my driftwood?
This has happened 2 times now. The first time I bleached the wood. soaked it in a heavily dechlorinatoring salutation for several days. I tested it for chlorine and it tested 0. I added it back into my tank, and again it is growing black mold. All of the fish are fine, BTW. I threw the wood away, but still curious. Thanks for any input on this matter.
Would you mind posting a picture? I doubt it's mold but black hair algae is more common to have grow on drift wood.

Back
Top Bottom