Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

hey guys where can i get drift wood, what would it cost, should i buy it online, can i get it from a dam, and what kind of driftwood do you recommend??

TIA

Bigalsonline is a good source of very good driftwood (that's where I got most of mine). No more than $10.00 for a good piece. LFS charge at $30.00 for similar pieces.

I collected all of mine but they all required extensive boiling. One took a week and a half to get most of the tannins out. Its probably easier to order them.

I got mine at my LFS just to be safe, but since I paid almost $20 apiece for the larger pieces (which really aren't that large) I apparently should have tried Big Als. :roll:

I bought a couple pieces from Bigalsonline. Great price... though 2 1/2 weeks later, they still haven't sunk. :(

that brings up another question

how long does it take to sink?

Depends on the type of driftwood. I have Malaysian driftwood in another tank and that only took a couple days to sink and rid of the tannins.

The one on Bigals does not release any tannins, but takes a bit longer. I was finally able to anchor the Bigals pieces down with gravel. I think it wouldv'e work a few days ago, but just got around to cleaning and rearranging the tank today.

I got my piece which is about 12 inches wide and 12 inches tall. It is a Traingle shaped piece of Malyasyian driftwood that I got from the corporate beast PetCo for $9. It sunk right away, but I have been boiling pots of water and pouring them in my sink since the piece wont fit in a bucket. I submersed it in boiling water and let it sit over night twice allready. Now on my third time it is still discoloring the water slightly. The tannic acid isnt harmful though, and will only discolor your water a slightly amber color. I will probably boil it and let it sit over night once more, and if it discolors my water I am sure (Actually, I hope) it will only last through a couple water changes.
Hope this is helpful. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom