Driftwood??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the going rates for different sizes of driftwood. I can get it all day long here at the Tennessee River. I could even send it to some of my Freshie friends for just the shipping price. :wink:

Well, you can find fragments for a dollar on ebay, or up to $300 for big pieces at floridadriftwood.com At lfs I've seen 8-16 inch pieces for $10-35. Big and/or smooth and/or stump-like go for more. I'm trying to find a big piece for my common pleco to hide out under. He was about 3 1/2 inches when I got him. Now he's about 7".

At my LFS the small pieces are $9.99, the medium ones are about $15, and the big ones are about $20. The largest pieces I've seen are about 18 inches long. I know the online prices are better but I have never ordered driftwood online.

You can send me some driftwood anytime! :mrgreen:

What process would I need to take in making sure the driftwood is safe for aquarium or reptile use?

PS. What size you need?

If it's small enough to boil, you can boil it... I've never done that before so I'm not sure how long to boil it. If it's too big to boil, I've heard of people using water with a little bleach (I forgot the ratio), then rinse, rinse, rinse. There's a bunch of threads around here somewhere about cleaning wood. Since I get mine from the LFS and I'm too lazy to do either of the above, I just soak mine in a bucket to remove some of the tannins and stick it in the tank... but sometimes I'm even lazier and I just rinse with hot water and in it goes. :oops: :lol:

A big branchy piece would look great in my 55 gallon but I'm broke after buying my new light strip, so I would need to know how much it costs to ship. :mrgreen:

Rev, there is an article here at AA about preparing driftwood for your tank, and you can check that out for some ideas.

I generally soak mine, using boiling water to pour over it, since usually the pieces I get are too large to boil. Plus, I like African swahala bogwood that sinks immediately and does not need to get waterlogged. It really depends on what kind of tree it came from. Some evergreen woods are not ideal for tanks due to the resins they contain, but if they have been in a body of water for years and years they are likely safe.

I'll betcha sticking them in your SW tanks would kill any FW nasties they might contain, lol! :wink:

Edit: I forgot to answer your real question! My prices locally are about the same as Severum mama's.

Back
Top Bottom