Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
Driftwood

So my tank has been cycling for a little over a week and I tested the PH and it is right around 8.2 and i thought that was a little high. Then i tested my tap water and found out we must have really hard water cause my tap water's PH is aobut 8.8 or more. Well concerning my tank i have to decided to put a piece or two of driftwood in the tank to bring the PH down. Is there any certain type of driftwood i need to get? What do i do to the driftwood before i put it in the tank? And i plan on getting it from a LFS .... is this a good idea or should i go find some on the banks of the kansas river or what? ... TIA

Ray

Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm. I'm not in love with the idea of using driftwood that hasn't been properly treated. Too many problems can find their way into your tank. Although driftwood will eventually lower the pH of tank water, your problem is more likely one of hardness. I would filter through peat to lower the hardness as well as the pH.

I've a friend that breeds discus in KC. His water is liquid rock and he's invested in RO units to provide the soft water.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea im not too far from KC actually so mine is rock hard too .... i am gonna add driftwood for decor anyways and might as well get some that might lower my ph too .... but RO units are pretty exspensive arnt they ... any cheaper alternative?

Ray
Old 04-01-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Peat is very inexpensive and simple to use. Just place some in a mesh bag in your filter.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

would peat fit in my extra media cartridge of my emperor 280?

Ray

Tags
drift, driftwood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com