Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tank has been cycling for a little over a week and I tested the PH and it is right around 8.2 and i thought that was a little high. Then i tested my tap water and found out we must have really hard water cause my tap water's PH is aobut 8.8 or more. Well concerning my tank i have to decided to put a piece or two of driftwood in the tank to bring the PH down. Is there any certain type of driftwood i need to get? What do i do to the driftwood before i put it in the tank? And i plan on getting it from a LFS .... is this a good idea or should i go find some on the banks of the kansas river or what? ... TIA

Ray

Hmmm. I'm not in love with the idea of using driftwood that hasn't been properly treated. Too many problems can find their way into your tank. Although driftwood will eventually lower the pH of tank water, your problem is more likely one of hardness. I would filter through peat to lower the hardness as well as the pH.

I've a friend that breeds discus in KC. His water is liquid rock and he's invested in RO units to provide the soft water.

Yea im not too far from KC actually so mine is rock hard too .... i am gonna add driftwood for decor anyways and might as well get some that might lower my ph too .... but RO units are pretty exspensive arnt they ... any cheaper alternative?

Ray

Peat is very inexpensive and simple to use. Just place some in a mesh bag in your filter.

Back
Top Bottom