driftwood & tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i dont understand lol what about a toilet? & can you explain the water changes part better? i dont mean to sound dumb but tannins & dw are a new venture & kinda more hassle than its worth .....

It won't help with your big pieces of driftwood but for your small ones if u put it in in the back of a toilet in the tank. It's the lazy man's way of treating driftwood. It gets frequent water changes and you can just forget about it for a while.

LMAO that's awesome!! I never would have thought about that but it makes a lot of sense.

What I do is sink it in my bath tub with hot water for a few days but I have 2 bathrooms so it's no big deal then I drain it twice a day until it finished leaching

ronnieroach said:
i dont understand lol what about a toilet? & can you explain the water changes part better? i dont mean to sound dumb but tannins & dw are a new venture & kinda more hassle than its worth .....

Smaller dw. U can put it in the back of the toilet. In the tank. Then every time u flush it will do a water change

hahaha thats AWESOME!!! thanks for the tip. my smaller pieces i soaked & they're fine. its that giganti-saur piece thats killin me lol

i'm hoping by tonight i can tell if the fluval clearmax carbon stuff is working or not

ryan-peddle said:
What I do is sink it in my bath tub with hot water for a few days but I have 2 bathrooms so it's no big deal then I drain it twice a day until it finished leaching

wow another great idea.. i could at least do it from afternoon til morning if it doesnt change soon.. thanks!!

So i actually got the Fluval Clearmax too and it doesn't seem to be working, it hasnt been a full 24 hours yet but the water doesnt look any different. UGH!
The good thing is my plants and fish dont seem to mind it at all. But the color is killing me! haha
I might go out and buy the Seachem stuff

mine def seemed better but i did a 50% change 2 days in a row too.. i didnt even put my clearmax in the filter, just threw it in the tank .. i'm gonna put it in my filter when i get home in a little & see if it helps.. mine hasnt been 24hours yet either so dont despair just yet!! we might have something lol

its been about 24 hours with the fluval clearmax in my tank & its not much better .. HOWEVER, i just put the bag into the back of the filter about 7 hours ago ..

maybe in another day or 2 it'll show some improvement .. but how about the CrystalClear chemical? could that work?

-----------------------------------
& on a somewhat related note:
-----------------------------------
my little compressiceps in my 20gal died from a pwc (i'm very sad) so i'm rehoming my other fish & getting a day gecko for my hex.. i have A LOT to do to get it ready so i might not get to the big tank tomorrow

(& if anyone knows about geckos / reptiles PLEASE private message me!!!)

Anything new on the crystal clear water front?
I bought seachem purigen, it helped a little but my water is still mad yellow. Im bummed, i guess i really do have one of those pieces that leaches for a long time..

PFFFT!!! the clearmax is GARBAGE for removing the tannskis ..

my NEW plan is to remove my piece until the weather warms up & then i'll soak it outside in a new garbage can for a while until it stops ..

i spent too much money & time picking out the best looking fish i could find, so i dont really care to see them all looking the same nasty color lol

Dang dude...i really want to do the same but i have fry in the tank right now that are using the driftwood as a little home lol. I have a planted tank and the substrate is Carribsea floramax and sometimes the cichlids at the bottom kick up dust and that sort of thing so maybe that has something to do with it. I dont know more of a guess at this point.

fishnewbe420 said:
It won't help with your big pieces of driftwood but for your small ones if u put it in in the back of a toilet in the tank. It's the lazy man's way of treating driftwood. It gets frequent water changes and you can just forget about it for a while.

That is an awesome idea! I bet it makes the toilet water look gross though!

welp, i took my piece out .. it was leeching WAY too much so i'm just gonna soak it outside when spring comes

i wasnt even gonna take it out because i was so tired from redoing my bearded dragon tank but looking at it made me so mad i had to do something lol

soo i took it out & did a 50% WC yesterday .. it looks INSANELY better even though its still a wee bit merky

one more change tonight & i should be back to beautiful .. i hope lol

The pic looks like its a piece of grapevine which are intended for reptile tanks. If so it's really not a great type of wood. They leech a ton as you have noticed and they break down faster then most aquarium wood because they are not a hard wood GL :)

My driftwood was too big for any of the pots. I measured it against the tallest pot I have to see if I could at least cover half of it with water. It did, so I did that, boiled it for a bit, drained it, refilled and boiled it again, then flipped it over and did it twice to the other end. Worked like a charm. ^_^

yes i think youre right PC .. & hopefully it is because once its dry i wanna put it in my dragon tank lol

it came to a local lfs in a huge DW order but some had tags saying they were reptile wood & some didnt .. the guy said it was malaysian but i was skeptical because of the multi-coloring

works for me though cuz my dragon actually needs it to get closer to the lights ;)

Back
Top Bottom